Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Low Latency Audio Support Re-Submitted For Linux 5.14

Phoronix: USB Low Latency Audio Support Re-Submitted For Linux 5.14

Linux 5.14 has re-landed support for improvements to lower the latency of its USB audio driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Keep up the good work Takashi!
    He has been doing Linux sound for ever.

Comment

slowly but surly, linux is becoming more and more viable for pro audio. we just need an extremely low latency way to connect windows, OSX, and Linux together now. preferably not analogue but it has been working okay enough.

Comment

this should also benefit those using integrated audio solutions as well as many motherboard vendors hook up the audio over a usb buss on the motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          slowly but surly, linux is becoming more and more viable for pro audio. we just need an extremely low latency way to connect windows, OSX, and Linux together now. preferably not analogue but it has been working okay enough.
          Too bad pros won't notice (using their Macs for audio), but I'll take any improvement that comes my way

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Too bad pros won't notice (using their Macs for audio), but I'll take any improvement that comes my way
            they are starting to. Ive been talking with some people and they had offhandedly brought it up. but it's only at the point of a mild curiosity in my circle.

Comment

we just need an extremely low latency way to connect windows, OSX, and Linux together now. preferably not analogue but it has been working okay enough.
              "Abelton Link"? Works great in Bitwig ...

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                this should also benefit those using integrated audio solutions as well as many motherboard vendors hook up the audio over a usb buss on the motherboard.
                Examples?

Comment

they are starting to. Ive been talking with some people and they had offhandedly brought it up. but it's only at the point of a mild curiosity in my circle.
                  IME, people won't switch unless the experience is markedly better. People doing pro audio are not necessarily enthusiast PC builders, they are accustomed to buying something that just works.
                  But like I said, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    IME, people won't switch unless the experience is markedly better. People doing pro audio are not necessarily enthusiast PC builders, they are accustomed to buying something that just works.
                    But like I said, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
                    Linux advancements like low-latency USB are what will attract the audio industry vendors and integrators. It is those audio industry companies that will craft the Linux pro audio solutions of the future. Nobody expects pro-audio consumers to cobble something together, not when their paycheck depends on it. Once Linux becomes a viable and competitive option, you can be sure "just works" solutions based on it will start popping up.

Comment

Working...
                    X