Intel Tiger Lake Performance Between Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 21.04 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Tiger Lake Performance Between Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 21.04 Linux

Phoronix: Intel Tiger Lake Performance Between Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 21.04 Linux

With having hands on with a Dell XPS 13 9310 (Dell 0DXP1F) with the Core i7 1185G7 Tiger Lake processor (compared to prior Linux tests with the i7-1165G7), here is a fresh look at the performance of Microsoft Windows 10 Pro as shipped by Dell with all available stable updates versus a clean install of Ubuntu 21.04 Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, were these tests run with the default power/thermal settings for Windows & Ubuntu?

Comment

Not directly related, but for anyone interested, here's fresh GeekBench CPU benchmarks between openSUSE TW and Windows 10 with a Ryzen 2700X: https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu...seline=8792820

I don't think I've ever seen Windows score overall higher with GeekBench with any CPU, but Linux seems to handle "different" CPU architectures (NUMA and with Ryzen, CCX stuff) better by a notable amount.

Comment

Would be interested to see the difference in battery life, I often see a some significant gap in battery life from one OS to the other

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
          Michael, were these tests run with the default power/thermal settings for Windows & Ubuntu?
          Yes default on both
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by edexiel View Post
            Would be interested to see the difference in battery life, I often see a some significant gap in battery life from one OS to the other
            The battery life while running benchmarks won't differ significantly but what's really interesting how it will fare in terms of light web browsing, editing spreadsheets and presentations, watching youtube (VP9/AV1 video HW acceleration works out of the box in Windows 8 and higher and in Linux it's a long and sad story) or listening to Spotify - all minor activities in terms of CPU usage where the OS power saving technologies really shine and that's where unfortunately Linux is quite far behind. Even if we compare LibreOffice with Microsoft Office, the latter is far superior in terms of being CPU efficient.

I've asked Michael to run such tests on multiple occasions but so far he hasn't been interested.

Comment

Working...
            X