Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 90 Released With FTP Support Removed, Better WebRender Software Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 90 Released With FTP Support Removed, Better WebRender Software Performance

Phoronix: Firefox 90 Released With FTP Support Removed, Better WebRender Software Performance

Mozilla has officially released Firefox 90.0 as the latest monthly update to their cross-platform web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh man, is this the release with the "no longer save files to /temp" feature?

Comment

I wonder what they had against FTP? He never hurt no one...

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        Oh man, is this the release with the "no longer save files to /temp" feature?
        I've lost a lot of stuff because I didn't catch that after a new install

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Except Hollywood movie executives

Comment

He got an upgrade. He became SFTP and has a number of benefits.

... but Firefox doesn't support that. Quite how they justified removing a feature before actually implementing its replacement is beyond me. This is becoming a common trend with "modern" computing.

But I suppose these days web browsers are more marketed towards casual consumers that don't know what FTP is to begin with.

Comment

Ultimately it is not the browsers job to do everything, handling ftp should fall outside it's job description.
              Firefox also does not handle other file transfer protocols such as SFTP or SMB, so why should it support ftp?
              At the very least for me it has never been something I would use a webbrowser for.

Comment

Not later than today, i had to upload a new firmware to a switch, so i copy pasted my ftp://line which failed with a no access on the switch.

So i wanted to check by copy/pasting in my browser urlbar:
                - in chrome, it failed to recognise the protocol, i remembered they removed ftp
                - tried on my right updated firefox... it #@¼@#¼ failed on the protocol too...

Had to open a new terminal to use my trusty powerful 'lftp' client just to check & find out what didn't work.
                Productivity declining.

Give us FTP in browser back!!!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Except Hollywood movie executives
                  But that's a pro, not a con

Originally posted by qlum View Post
                  Ultimately it is not the browsers job to do everything, handling ftp should fall outside it's job description.
                  Firefox also does not handle other file transfer protocols such as SFTP or SMB, so why should it support ftp?
                  At the very least for me it has never been something I would use a webbrowser for.
                  For a new web browser, maybe. But support was already there, it's not like it was needing a port to Servo or smth

Comment

Originally posted by qlum View Post
                    Web browsers already do much more than they should do. Firefox absolutely spams you with their "services" like sync and Firefox monitor. Why not leave in modules that were actually useful?

It goes without saying that telemetry and spying are beyond the job description of a browser

Comment

Working...
                    X