Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Phoronix: Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Following months of rumors about new gaming hardware from Valve, today they announced Steam Deck as a new handheld PC gaming device starting at $399...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now we know what all the work was for.

Comment

Excellent!

It is an open PC!

Comment

Now we wait and see if this new SteamOS gets a full release…

Comment

Really looking forwards to the Proton work this is spearheading, will be amazing to be able to finally get play those last few leftovers in my library again.

Comment

Here I'm still waiting for a decent APU for my desktop. AMD doesn't even sell highend 4000 series APUs to the public, now we see zen+navi+ddr5 damn son...

These devices are looking good and with the global gpu shortage I think it will sell quickly.

Comment

Tech specs: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

Assuming the ram is single channel, for a device this small.
              Last edited by xorbe; 15 July 2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

The APU is a quad-core Zen2 plus 8 core RDNA 2 GPU. A little less power than I was hopping for, but for a portable were battery life is everything, is not bad at all.

And they at least will try to hold back scalpers a bit. To reserve and buy one (this year at last), you must have a valid Steam account and had made a purchase up to last month. So scalpers creating new accounts are screwed.

Comment

Arch and KDE Plasma

Looks like Valve doesn't read Phoronix Qt FUD

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                    Tech specs: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

Assuming the ram is single channel, for a device this small.
                    What has the size of the device to do with that?

Comment

Working...
                    X