Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Rack Has One Of The Best, Most Open-Source Firmware x86 Server Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Rack Has One Of The Best, Most Open-Source Firmware x86 Server Motherboards

Phoronix: ASRock Rack Has One Of The Best, Most Open-Source Firmware x86 Server Motherboards

For those wanting to get into open-source firmware development or even just to have a small SOHO x86_64 low-cost Intel server platform that is as open as possible, ASRock Rack happens to now boast one of the best solutions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

intel
    for a couple of years, i will certainly stay away from it. it might contain spectre or other trash.
    the way intel is handling security is worrisome and astounding...

Comment

> can be found at various Internet retailers in the $230~260 price range,

Where did you find it at that price point?

Comment

It's rare to see a mini-ITX board with ECC support.

Comment

Went to AMD because of the ECC support in consumer motherboards. Had had a look at that Asrock board but AMD was superior in most categories.

Comment

Very nice with open source!
            I would love to see it on more motherboards, not just for servers but also for consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by foobaz View Post
              It's rare to see a mini-ITX board with ECC support.
              Almost all asrock boards for ryzen support ecc, no need to overpay for inferior xeon. They just put in the extra traces. Unlike intel, amd only disables ecc on non-pro apus, maybe some of the ultra low end cpus.

Open source firmware is ok, but for critical systems, it is even safer to just air-gap it.
              Last edited by ddriver; 15 July 2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

That is good news. I hope this will continue for am4 based boards too. Lately I was almost about to buy some asrock rack board for my nas. But did not because it was way to overpowered for a small amd apu. Anyway great to see this coreboot development progress.

Comment

I want this for my ASRock Rack X470D4U2-2T, prettyplease?

Comment

I can't wait for them to start making all their motherboards with open firmware

Comment

Working...
                    X