Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Reported To Be Looking At Acquiring GlobalFoundries

Phoronix: Intel Reported To Be Looking At Acquiring GlobalFoundries

The latest surprise news under Intel's new leadership is that they are reported to be exploring a deal to acquire GlobalFoundries, the company ultimately formed when AMD decided in 2008 to spin off their semiconductor manufacturing business...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's a spicy meatball.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
      That's a spicy meatball.
      I am not the original creator, please go check out TerminalMontage and support his amazing channel!

Comment

It makes sense as they could not manage it themselves - maybe they should have done this move
        more than 5 years ago.
        And what about buying AMD, so they finally have decent CPUs and GPUs ... and not that trash they are
        selling since lots of years ... (needing mitigations which eats a good deal of performance, ME/CSME, ...).

Comment

They should spend the money fixing their nodes. They have nothing which is even remotely close to TSMC's 7nm in terms of power efficiency and TSMC has long been churning chips using their 5nm node. Who cares that TGL reaches 5.3GHz when it's eating that much power in the process.

Comment

So they can't make a good product so they're just trying to buy everyone out instead?
            Yeah, that always works out so well.

Comment

Well one big advantage of Intel is that they have their own fabs. I was a long time fan of AMD, but I was quite disappointed when they split away from their fab. Now days we're way to dependent on Taiwan for chips. Just look a the chip shortage we're dealing with now. And Taiwan is in an unstable situation with China, so that creates the potential for things to get much uglier.

Comment

This is worrying and hopeful, all at the same time. Wonder if they know something about CCPBiden/Taiwan that we don't. You don't dump that kind of cash on US/EU manufacturing(which you already have) unless you are damn sure that the supply lines are about to be cut. Shit, I hate this timeline.

Comment

I admit I was pretty shocked when AMD sold off their foundries. Not sure how well an acquisition by Intel will fly with the various regulators, but I'm not a multi-national corporation with connections everywhere, sooo...

Comment

OMFG this is funny. Intel's once-legendary process nodes are so shit they're actually thinking about buying up the barrel-bottom that is GloFo.

What's next? Using Samsung's memory process nodes to make CPU logic?

In actual seriousness, this sounds a lot like what Ironmask suggested. Just buy up every other game in town and take everyone down with you.

Comment

Working...
                    X