Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Gaming Performance With Radeon Vulkan NGG Culling

Phoronix: Linux Gaming Performance With Radeon Vulkan NGG Culling

The newest performance optimization merged this week for Mesa's "RADV" Radeon Vulkan open-source driver is NGG culling for Navi 1x/2x graphics cards. NGG Culling "NGGC" isn't enabled by default at this time but can be easily activated and depending upon the software under test can provide some minor performance gains on top of all the other optimizations seen in recent times for RADV.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shrug, maybe it can promote less stuttering or minimal fps in games? or in certain unique cases where a game renders too much off scene due to bad design or bug? I known a few games that appeared to have that issue.

Comment

This is going to be extremely useful for the Steam Deck console, since it runs games at 800p, the loss on quality won't be as pronounced.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Shrug, maybe it can promote less stuttering or minimal fps in games? or in certain unique cases where a game renders too much off scene due to bad design or bug? I known a few games that appeared to have that issue.
        It is beneficial in games that render a lot of primitives, where the fixed-function culling becomes a bottleneck. What this does is remove triangles in the shader so the fixed-function hardware has less work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          This is going to be extremely useful for the Steam Deck console, since it runs games at 800p, the loss on quality won't be as pronounced.
          There is no loss of quality. If you see any issues, please open a bug report.

Comment

Will it be flipped on by default eventually?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Will it be flipped on by default eventually?
              Likely yes on RDNA2 GPUs (somehow filtering out the games that regress), probably not on RDNA1 - like you see it helps very little there.

Comment

shmerl - it may actually help on RDNA1 with The Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal by a few frames per sec, but probably not much, so don't expect any miracles. If you test, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
                  shmerl - it may actually help on RDNA1 with The Witcher 3 and Doom Eternal by a few frames per sec, but probably not much, so don't expect any miracles. If you test, I'd appreciate your feedback.
                  I recently switched to RDNA2 card and sold my RDNA1 one to recover the costs But I can run some tests with the new one.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

I recently switched to RDNA2 card and sold my RDNA1 one to recover the costs But I can run some tests with the new one.
                    Then the good news is that you get about 5% perf improvement from NGGC on RDNA2 in The Witcher 3.
                    Last edited by Venemo; 16 July 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X