Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Reworks Its DRM Code, Many Other Improvements

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Reworks Its DRM Code, Many Other Improvements

In between celebrating the fact that Valve's newly announced Steam Deck runs KDE Plasma when exiting the Steam confines, KDE developers had a very busy week with a number of different improvements to their open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the why dev handling wayland support is just make me feel more disappointed about them

Comment

Valve launching the Steam Deck using KDE is one of the most exciting news for the KDE Project in a long time!

This will make KDE available to a whole new group of users and consumers who never used or even heard about KDE before. I really hope that this can bring a lot of benefits and improvements to KDE and a larger user base and that other companies take notice and consider creating products using KDE.

I hope consumers buying the Steam Deck gets intrigued and opts for a KDE-based Linux distribution on their desktop and laptops too.

Comment

To hell with the widgets, they broke them really well with the latest redesign. On top of that they (quietly) removed the system load widget that would show in the taskbar/panel

Comment

I’m really excited for the Steam Deck, and I see it as evidence that my plan for KDE World Domination is both achievable and in progress. We are going to get KDE software onto every device on the planet, folks!
          And so it begins.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Valve launching the Steam Deck using KDE is one of the most exciting news for the KDE Project in a long time!
            I hope they pick a fixed version of Plasma and KWin and only update after major versions already had a lot of testing by us and of course the point releases. Like snapshots.

They should also disable baloo. It's like not a single OS has a indexing service that doesn't eventually suck, it must be harder than building a rocket.

Comment

Be Gnome, destroy your user base chasing the screen touch fad with Gnome 3... The first mass commercial device using Linux with a touch screen goes with KDE.

Win.

​​​​​Am I the one to find this amusing?

I'm not a KDE fan by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by AHOY View Post

I hope they pick a fixed version of Plasma and KWin and only update after major versions already had a lot of testing by us and of course the point releases. Like snapshots.

They should also disable baloo. It's like not a single OS has a indexing service that doesn't eventually suck, it must be harder than building a rocket.
                Baloo only sucks on spinning HDDs for the first 24h or so...or if you don't know to filter out things like your source code/git pull directories, backup directories, and stuff along those lines. It really helps to limit it down to the essential things you'll actually search for and not everything.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                  Be Gnome, destroy your user base chasing the screen touch fad with Gnome 3... The first mass commercial device using Linux with a touch screen goes with KDE.

Win.

​​​​​Am I the one to find this amusing?

I'm not a KDE fan by the way.
                  No. Not at all. I've been thinking the same thing. Totally hilarious situation.

I'm clearly a KDE fan so I didn't want to be the one to bring it up

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Baloo only sucks on spinning HDDs for the first 24h or so...or if you don't know to filter out things like your source code/git pull directories, backup directories, and stuff along those lines. It really helps to limit it down to the essential things you'll actually search for and not everything.
                    Not really, baloo_file crashes on each system boot and I don't care trying to figure out why.

As a desktop user I never used file indexing for anything useful so I generally try to disable it upon OS install, often I don't because the GUI options constantly change.

Using KDE Neon.

Comment

Working...
                    X