Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Pushes Improvements To Help Debug S0ix Power States On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Pushes Improvements To Help Debug S0ix Power States On Linux

AMD's PMC Linux driver with Linux 5.15 is expected to offer more debugging information for diagnosing S0ix power states behavior to analyze if an AMD SoC is hitting or not the desired low-power states...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With the upcoming Steam deck, optimizing battery life would be a huge priority for Valve, I wonder AMD's work like this is motivated due to the upcoming hardware launch or not. While Linux has become more power efficient on mobile devices in recent years, it still has to make strides to compete with windows.

Comment

Should make it easier to fix all the suspend related issues on AMD laptops?

Comment

My Ryzen 4750U laptop (HP EliteBook 845 G7) has not been able to suspend since bought in September 2020. Thanks to a lot of work from others, a series of patches has fixed that weeks ago, but as I understand it, they are still not all mainlined (although some are). There's a very long discussion, including the list of patches, to be found here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1230. I had the impression that part of the problem was related to the firmware/bios and how it handles suspend. From some laptops a firmware/BIOS update added the option in the BIOS allowing users to set "Linux way" as the suspend mechanism, and in doing so, resolved the suspend issues.

Would be great if this new debug feature would help addressing issues like this.

Comment

my T14 thinkpad looses 10-15% power while suspended overnight.. This 5.15 kernel update "helps to diagnose the issues" its a pretty big problem for AMD users..

Comment

Working...
          X