Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Calls On Paragon To Send In The New NTFS Driver

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Calls On Paragon To Send In The New NTFS Driver

One year ago was the surprise of Paragon Software wanting to mainline their NTFS Linux kernel driver. The Paragon "NTFS3" kernel driver provides much better read/write support for Microsoft's NTFS file-system than what is available with other kernel or FUSE options for this file-system support on Linux. It looks like this driver might finally be mainlined soon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great. The FUSE one works fine, but often it kind of chokes my system and reduces its performance.

After 5-6 years I finally understand why does the kernel always mount NTFS as read-only....

Comment

It would make the cherry on top of the cake if this new NTFS driver performs faster than Microsoft's. I would like to see a few benchmarks on it.

Comment

Maybe he needs to send them a written letter. That will be faster, and more efficient

Comment

Maybe Linus will ask to get a pull request for bcachefs soon...

Comment

Originally posted by jbranso View Post
            Maybe Linus will ask to get a pull request for bcachefs soon...
            As awesome as that would be, but I don't think Kent is even trying to send it in yet. While not upstream he has the freedom to change on-disk format.

Comment

Also, snapshotting isn't even finished yet. It would be weird to pull in a next-gen filesystem which still lacks one of the core feature for which next gen fs are known for (Btrfs, ZFS, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                It would make the cherry on top of the cake if this new NTFS driver performs faster than Microsoft's. I would like to see a few benchmarks on it.
                I don't think there actually is an apples to apples drive benchmark available for windows vs linux; I mean sure there are programs that do work on both operating systems, at least to some extent, like fio... But the benchmark results for ntfs drives on linux and on windows last I checked were ridiculous; with some tests seeming to go through fine and giving results within an expected range, and others giving results that just don't make sense when comparing to similar benchmarks done in other programs.

I don't think there's any reliable drive benchmark program that works well for ntfs on windows; that also works well on linux, including for ntfs on linux.

It's something that would be fun to see but... I've never seen it.

Comment

Oh please, I've been waiting for a very long time for a high performance and accuracy NTFS driver for my dual-boot systems.
                  It's really nice to see Linus himself trying to help with this getting merged.
                  Maybe Linux can get so advanced one day that we can play games installed on a NTFS partition from Windows, directly so we don't need install the games twice and use double the space.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Maybe Linux can get so advanced one day that we can play games installed on a NTFS partition from Windows, directly so we don't need install the games twice and use double the space.
                    I do that for years already. What are you missing? That worked with ntfs-3g and it works even better with ntfs3.

Comment

Working...
                    X