Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS vs. Pop!_OS 21.04 Performance Benchmarks

Phoronix: Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS vs. Pop!_OS 21.04 Performance Benchmarks

With the recent release of System76's Pop!_OS 21.04 if you are thinking about upgrading to this release from Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS or choosing between the two, here are some benchmarks from the AMD Ryzen Threadripper powered System76 Thelio Major.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kind of unrelated: A Natron benchmark? I always thought that video compositing software never worked...

Comment

I don't think I'll ever change from LTS, specifically Ubuntu 20.04 (and it's not because of the 4/20 release date, smartass)

Why would I not want the most supported Linux distro out there while allowing me to do everything I want? Serious question if anyone wants to answer. But don't answer just to answer and say your way is the best. What am I missing out? Got all the latest and greatest of mostly everything.

Comment

Michael THX for the benchmark!

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
          What am I missing out?
          well sometimes important bug fixes only found in the upstream version. But you are right, if everything is working out fine, I think getting the most tested and stable updates are better.

Comment

perpetually high
            Nothing wrong with Ubuntu 20.04
            If you have around 1 to 2 year old hardware and or you work in a business it's perfectly fine.... if you like buying new hardware and want the latest kernel with driver support to play games Ubuntu doesn't cut it

Comment

cytomax55

No, that is incorrect.
              If you have enabled HWE (Hardware Enablement stack) on Ubuntu 20.04, then it will support much more recent hardware than 1 to 2 years old:

Sure, it's not always the latest greatest kernel but I would say it's sufficient for most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                cytomax55

No, that is incorrect.
                If you have enabled HWE (Hardware Enablement stack) on Ubuntu 20.04, then it will support much more recent hardware than 1 to 2 years old:

Sure, it's not always the latest greatest kernel but I would say it's sufficient for most cases.
                Here's the kicker -- your hardware has to work well enough to actually enable HWE. If your APU is too new you might have garbled display so you won't be able to enable HWE to use your unsupported by default hardware.

HWE can be a total Catch-22.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  I don't think I'll ever change from LTS, specifically Ubuntu 20.04 (and it's not because of the 4/20 release date, smartass)

Why would I not want the most supported Linux distro out there while allowing me to do everything I want? Serious question if anyone wants to answer. But don't answer just to answer and say your way is the best. What am I missing out? Got all the latest and greatest of mostly everything.
                  I don't think I'll ever change from rolling release, specifically Arch.

Why would I not want the most documented Linux distro out there while allowing me to do everything I want? But don't answer just to answer and say your way is the best. What am I missing out? Got all the latester and greatester of mostly everything.

Serious answer: The Wiki and AUR. That's what you're missing out. The best distribution documentation bar none and quick access to the rest of the world with the AUR.

IMHO answer: Ubuntu isn't so bad if you're just using software, but if you're into trying out new software as Michael reports on it, playing sys admin, and customizing everything to your liking, that's where Arch shines. Different paths for different people with different uses. Usually, you can PPA the heck out of Ubuntu and basically have access to the same amount of software as the AUR.

With the stuff you post about doing, kernel patching and gaming tweaks and all that, you seem like you'd be prime candidate for using Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I don't think I'll ever change from rolling release, specifically Arch.

Why would I not want the most documented Linux distro out there while allowing me to do everything I want? But don't answer just to answer and say your way is the best. What am I missing out? Got all the latester and greatester of mostly everything.

Serious answer: The Wiki and AUR. That's what you're missing out. The best distribution documentation bar none and quick access to the rest of the world with the AUR.

IMHO answer: Ubuntu isn't so bad if you're just using software, but if you're into trying out new software as Michael reports on it, playing sys admin, and customizing everything to your liking, that's where Arch shines. Different paths for different people with different uses. Usually, you can PPA the heck out of Ubuntu and basically have access to the same amount of software as the AUR.

With the stuff you post about doing, kernel patching and gaming tweaks and all that, you seem like you'd be prime candidate for using Arch.
                    Yeah I agree with you and the others who replied. I'm just so comfortable with the Debian ecosystem that I don't think i can switch.

But you are right, I would be a prime candidate for arch, and while I don't use it, I have a lot of respect for AUR, the wiki, and the overall arch philosophy (btw I don't use arch)

Comment

Working...
                    X