Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squeezing More Performance Out Of Intel Tiger Lake Xe Graphics By Using Mesa Git

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeezing More Performance Out Of Intel Tiger Lake Xe Graphics By Using Mesa Git

Phoronix: Squeezing More Performance Out Of Intel Tiger Lake Xe Graphics By Using Mesa Git

For those that may have upgraded to an Intel Tiger Lake notebook and making use of the Gen12 Xe Graphics while running a distribution like Ubuntu 21.04, if you are wondering whether upgrading the kernel or Mesa are worthwhile here are some benchmarks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a new laptop with an 1165G7 and to get things running smoothly I upgraded my Linux installation to 5.11 -- it works great. I also use the Oibaf PPA on all my machines. A daily Mesa installation has only let me down once. The Intel guys in Oregon are doing good work.

I'm an artist and not a game player so bleeding edge performance isn't what I need, though I do use 4K screens and a pair of them for art work creation. My desired platform is 1165G7 NUC and I managed to get one. The general Silicon shortage means there are none to be had "even for ready money".

Benchmarks for HD are all very well but that is such trailing edge technology. I'm looking forward to making 8K art with the 1165G7 NUCs.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive McCarthy View Post
      Benchmarks for HD are all very well but that is such trailing edge technology. I'm looking forward to making 8K art with the 1165G7 NUCs.
      It'll probably turn out to be mostly fill-rate limited (i.e. memory-bottlenecked), wherein various driver changes would have less effect.

Also, this is primarily a laptop chip, and most laptops with it that lack a dGPU are probably going to have 1080p screens. So, that remains a good benchmark target for it.

Though, I'd have to agree that a couple 4k benchmarks on some of the newer software would be a nice addition.

Comment

Working...
      X