Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BPF Timers Support Set To Finally Appear With Linux 5.15

Phoronix: BPF Timers Support Set To Finally Appear With Linux 5.15

The latest BPF functionality set to appear with Linux 5.15 this autumn is timers support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

when i try to look far in the future i imagine a kernel consisting of drivers and a bpf interpreter in rust and everything else just being bpf scripts.

what do you think? would that be a good?

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
      when i try to look far in the future i imagine a kernel consisting of drivers and a bpf interpreter in rust and everything else just being bpf scripts.

Probably has the same problem as a pure microkernel... great in theory, but not good enough performance.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
        Don't think so. I don't like BPF, admittedly form my limited insight into it.
        I think there is a case to have native code there and that will prevail in the end, despite all concerns.

BTW, why couldn't compiler's intermediate code be used there instead of BPF ?

Last edited by Brane215; 24 July 2021, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Giving high precision timers to in-kernel BPF programs.

Not going to lie, if I were someone especially concerned about side-channels, I'd be plenty worried about this.

Comment

Working...
          X