Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa RADV vs. AMDVLK Radeon Vulkan Performance For July 2021

Phoronix: Mesa RADV vs. AMDVLK Radeon Vulkan Performance For July 2021

It's been a while since last looking at the performance of AMD's official "AMDVLK" open-source Linux Vulkan driver against that of the popular Mesa "RADV" Radeon Vulkan driver. But here are some fresh benchmarks for those interested while using the latest-generation Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics card paired with the in-development Linux 5.14 kernel across testing both Vulkan drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

amdvlk probably regressed (it does so hard and often). What a pathetic display of AMD, I expect them to be stubborn and unteachable and to continue with business as usual...

Comment

Wow! You know what is mostly wrong about AMDVLK, after you install it, it is used by default, and you have to use this variable to use RADV:
        Code:
        AMD_VULKAN_ICD=RADV
        Last edited by torbido; 23 July 2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I've already experienced the exact same brokenness of AMDVLK almost a year ago, when I last tried it on my RX 580. Radv was performing ~25% better, or more in almost all games. Seems this brokenness has now expanded to the latest hardware. This just confirms that AMDVLK has turned into nothing more but a Stadia driver (since Google Stadia uses it). I mean looking at its github Issues page, there are so many serious issues still open and the devs barely fix them.
          Last edited by user1; 23 July 2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            amdvlk probably regressed (it does so hard and often). What a pathetic display of AMD, I expect them to be stubborn and unteachable and to continue with business as usual...
            They're not completely independent from what I remember. bridgman explain AMD team works closely with open source developers. AMDVLK is not meant for gamers, it's for workstation and enterprise. Am I wrong? If I am, please correct me.

I'm glad RADV and AMDVLK exists because it gives people the choice to use RADV for 90% of games and AMDVLK for the 10% where it's optimized for particular games. I don't see what the big deal is.

Comment

Even tho it sucks at games, it may be more stable in enterprise segment?

Comment

Is it true that AMDVLK is used for Stadia instead of RADV? If so, why???
                It does not make any sense. All benchmarks done by Phoronix during the last years have shown RADV to be superior to AMDVLK. By a large margin.

Comment

Are you sure that you have no problems with your system? This regression looks wild. Or is it only with UltraHD?

I don't consider tests with Proton, since neither the developers nor Valve themselves have lifted a finger to fix errors with AMDVLK.
                  But the test in the Tomb Rider on low and high settings looks strange.

bridgman, what do you say about this?

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                    Is it true that AMDVLK is used for Stadia instead of RADV?
                    Yes

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                    It does not make any sense. All benchmarks done by Phoronix during the last years have shown RADV to be superior to AMDVLK. By a large margin.
                    I'll tell you a little secret: there are no problems with AMDVLK when developing native games on Stadia. Just like in Windows for many years.
                    Therefore, developers do not focus on Phoronix tests, because 80% of the games from the test are launched with Proton.

Comment

Working...
                    X