Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The "Folios" Patches On An AMD Linux Server

Phoronix: Trying Out The "Folios" Patches On An AMD Linux Server

One of the low-level exciting kernel advancements being worked on at the moment is the new "folios" struct for improving Linux memory management. Tests by those involved found that in some conditions Linux kernel builds for example could be up to 7% faster. Given the recent folios v14 patches being published, I took them for a spin on an AMD EPYC server to see the impact on overall performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmmm, it appears to boost write performance. Maybe you should do a bit more testing in that regard.

Oh wait, you did a lot of testing but why do I only see 19 tests? Where are the other 99?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Hmmm, it appears to boost write performance. Maybe you should do a bit more testing in that regard.

Oh wait, you did a lot of testing but why do I only see 19 tests? Where are the other 99?
      OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

There is a tiny link to that below the system overview table.

Comment

Michael, what about compilation performance or browser benchmarks?

Comment

That looks almost ideal, frankly: a trivial improvement in the majority of cases, a trivial degradation in a tiny majority, and an overwhelming improvement in page-heavy ones. All of that is in line with expectations based on the original outline (and my experience in related work). Short of some catastrophic bug appearing, this looks good to go.

Comment

very promissing results. I'm really looking forward to see this thing mainlined.

Comment

A response from Andres Freund (a PostgreSQL developer) about the pgbench read-write test:
              https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/2021...3.anarazel.de/

I got about 7% improvement with just some baseline tuning of postgres applied.
              The test also only runs for 15 seconds, which likely isn't even enough to "warm up"
              (the creation of the data set here will take longer than the run).

Given that the dataset phoronix is using is about ~16GB of data (excluding
              WAL), and uses 256 concurrent clients running full tilt, using that limited
              postgres settings doesn't end up measuring something particularly interesting
              in my opinion.
              Last edited by intgr; 06 August 2021, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X