FUTEX2 Patches Sent Out In Simpler Form For Helping Windows Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUTEX2 Patches Sent Out In Simpler Form For Helping Windows Games On Linux

Phoronix: FUTEX2 Patches Sent Out In Simpler Form For Helping Windows Games On Linux

The ongoing FUTEX2 work for making the futex handling more like Windows to in turn help Windows games on Linux via Wine (with a focus on Steam Play's Proton) has taken a new turn...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somehow I predicted that after the Steam Deck launch we'll have such updates a little more frequently than we used to. I'm glad to see that!

Comment

Oh yeah!
      It's all coming together.

In all seriousness I'm really happy to see this platform improving at such pace.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
        Somehow I predicted that after the Steam Deck launch we'll have such updates a little more frequently than we used to. I'm glad to see that!
        Hence why they plan to use an Arch Linux-based thing. The moment it's out it will be ready for the Steam Deck.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Hence why they plan to use an Arch Linux-based thing. The moment it's out it will be ready for the Steam Deck.
          They can patch the stock kernel however they want, but obviously they will try to stay as much without out-of-tree patches as possible - and that's a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post

They can patch the stock kernel however they want, but obviously they will try to stay as much without out-of-tree patches as possible - and that's a good thing.
            ...and after many discussions, I'm still asking: why would this require or justify a kernel patch?

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
              ...and after many discussions, I'm still asking: why would this require or justify a kernel patch?
              Setting aside the other justifications, this thing is actually just useful, and doesn't cause any obvious problems. The main concern is adding kernel ABI surface area but uhh... there's a lot of that already trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                Setting aside the other justifications, this thing is actually just useful, and doesn't cause any obvious problems. The main concern is adding kernel ABI surface area but uhh... there's a lot of that already trust me.
                Umm, I understand the good intention, but why is it useful to do something with a kernel patch, if it can also be done without a kernel patch?

Just to show our support, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post

Umm, I understand the good intention, but why is it useful to do something with a kernel patch, if it can also be done without a kernel patch?
                  The same reason people submit patches for filesystems into the kernel, rather than building them over FUSE in userspace.

Performance optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

lol choice of distro/base has literally zero bearing on the timeliness of software updates for an embedded device like this. It runs (out of the box) SteamOS, not vanilla Arch. Jesus the level of fanboyism around here sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                    X