Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExpressVPN Opens Up Its Lightway VPN Protocol

Phoronix: ExpressVPN Opens Up Its Lightway VPN Protocol

Last year major VPN provider ExpressVPN announced "Lightway" as their new virtual private network protocol designed for speed, stability, and reliability. ExpressVPN announced today they are now making the protocol open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    For those looking at contributing, there is a CLA involved
    Big no right there. WireGuard wins.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Big no right there. WireGuard wins.
      Does wireguard finally works with dynamic ips or mobile clients ? Last time I have checked it needed static ip configuration. (like ipsec)

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post

Does wireguard finally works with dynamic ips or mobile clients ? Last time I have checked it needed static ip configuration. (like ipsec)
        Yes, well not in wireguard itself, but the problem of "static ip configuration" has been solved by NordVPN in their product NordLynx:

NordLynx is a technology we built around the WireGuard® VPN protocol. It lets you experience WireGuard’s speed benefits without compromising your privacy.

I currently use it on my phone.

Comment

tomas ...and NordLynx is wholly closed source so not comparable to either one of the other technologies mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
            tomas ...and NordLynx is wholly closed source so not comparable to either one of the other technologies mentioned.
            Yes, I'm aware that NordLynx is not open source.
            That was not part of the question I was replying to.
            I specifically replied to the question given by spirit and nothing else.

Comment

Hmm, sould be interesting to see this compared to protons VPN accelerator function. or maybe in conjunction?

Comment

I believe a feature comparison would be more relevant than a license comparison.
                IIRC, there were few complaints about Wireguard, I'd be interested to know what Lightway brings to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by spirit View Post

From https://www.wireguard.com/#built-in-roaming:
                  Originally posted by wireguard.com
                  Built-in Roaming

The client configuration contains an initial endpoint of its single peer (the server), so that it knows where to send encrypted data before it has received encrypted data. The server configuration doesn't have any initial endpoints of its peers (the clients). This is because the server discovers the endpoint of its peers by examining from where correctly authenticated data originates. If the server itself changes its own endpoint, and sends data to the clients, the clients will discover the new server endpoint and update the configuration just the same. Both client and server send encrypted data to the most recent IP endpoint for which they authentically decrypted data. Thus, there is full IP roaming on both ends.
                  Did you mean this? If so, there should be built-in support.

Comment

Features are nice, but CLAs are a poison. Ask it to Canonical

Comment

Working...
                    X