Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Early Look At LLVM Clang 13 Performance On AMD Zen 3

Phoronix: An Early Look At LLVM Clang 13 Performance On AMD Zen 3

With LLVM/Clang 13 feature development having ended last week and the 13.0 release candidate being tagged, in starting off the benchmarking cycle first up I was looking at how well this new compiler is performing compared to LLVM Clang 12 stable on an AMD EPYC 7543 (Zen 3) Linux server.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like a good progress overall.

Comment

J. Reinders created blog entry on Intel's adoption of llvm for dpc++.
      I tested out dpc++ FP32 multiplies on my Skull Canyon box and got about 8x speed-up on 1G operations by using my on-chip GPU vs the same kernel for CPU.
      The cpu has avx2, 4 cores.

Maybe heterogeneous benchmarks using dpc++ will be meaningful on APUs if Intel integrates a 320EU GPU on-chip as recently rumored for Arrow Lake
      Next generation Intel C/C++ compilers are even better because they use the LLVM open source infrastructure. . I discuss what it means for users of the compilers, why we did it, and the bright future.

Comment

The speed-up was actually closer to 10x.

N=1000000000
        gpu-time :5.66151
        cpu-time :55.5355
        gpu_speedup = 9.80931 x
        Passed

Comment

Have been using LLVM 13 with Clang on Debian 11 for two weeks already.

Noticed that it simply cannot find and use Glibc's iconv.h regardless of what kind of arguments I pass to CFLAGS. Had to cheat and use the standalone GNU libiconv to build my stuff. Can't tell if it's an issue with pre-release LLVM/Clang13 or an issue with Glibc. Never happened on Debian 10 with LLVM/Clang 9.

Hopefully the finalized version does not have this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Have been using LLVM 13 with Clang on Debian 11 for two weeks already.

Noticed that it simply cannot find and use Glibc's iconv.h regardless of what kind of arguments I pass to CFLAGS. Had to cheat and use the standalone GNU libiconv to build my stuff. Can't tell if it's an issue with pre-release LLVM/Clang13 or an issue with Glibc. Never happened on Debian 10 with LLVM/Clang 9.

Hopefully the finalized version does not have this issue.
            Have you reported the bug (or found an existing bug report by someone else)? If not you absolutely should do so.

Comment

If I recall correctly, this release will enable the new pass manager by default (previously accessable with -fexperimental-new-pass-manager) which should give an nice optimization boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Have you reported the bug (or found an existing bug report by someone else)? If not you absolutely should do so.
                I'm not paid to file or report bugs.

Other suckers unfortunate enough to experience it can go and report all they want.

Comment

Working...
                X