Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zink Now Supports OpenGL Compatibility Contexts - Allowing More Games/Apps To Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zink Now Supports OpenGL Compatibility Contexts - Allowing More Games/Apps To Work

Phoronix: Zink Now Supports OpenGL Compatibility Contexts - Allowing More Games/Apps To Work

In addition to Tuesday seeing the Zink sub-allocator merged for sharply improving the performance of this OpenGL-on-Vulkan implementation within Mesa, the Zink Gallium3D code subsequently merged support for OpenGL compatibility contexts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's hilarious to me that compatibility contexts even continued being used into the 4.x era.

Comment

how do you set steam to use zink for a specific game?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        It's hilarious to me that compatibility contexts even continued being used into the 4.x era.
        You probably need to look up what they are then. Old GL code can't run without them.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

You probably need to look up what they are then. Old GL code can't run without them.
          No, I know exactly what they are. I just never used the old functions in a finished application, and I don't really see why anyone would want to mix them, or why they'd have any trouble removing them.

Maybe you are the one who has to look them up. Have you ever even used OpenGL lol?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            I don't really see why anyone would want to mix them, or why they'd have any trouble removing them.
            umm... because the code was written before there WAS a compatibility context. Duh.

> Maybe you are the one who has to look them up. Have you ever even used OpenGL lol?

Clearly far longer than you have, if you're such a newb that you didn't even start before 3.0. Way to own yourself.

Comment

upfront disclaimer: I am not a software dev at all

if a software is written for OpenGL 3.x does it run under OpenGL 4.x compatibility context too?

and if not, what does? is it just for code that mixes OpenGL 4.x stuff with OpenGL 3.x stuff that doesn't exist in OpenGL 4.x Core Context anymore?

and if that's the case, is this always the result of adding new features in old software without redoing the old parts?

Comment

Working...
              X