LLVM Clang 13 Performance Is In Great Shape For Intel Xeon "Ice Lake"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVM Clang 13 Performance Is In Great Shape For Intel Xeon "Ice Lake"

Phoronix: LLVM Clang 13 Performance Is In Great Shape For Intel Xeon "Ice Lake"

Earlier this month was a look at the LLVM Clang 13 performance on EPYC 7003 showing this forthcoming compiler update to be in good shape for AMD Zen 3, but how is the performance looking on the Intel side? This round of benchmarking is looking at the LLVM Clang 11 / 12 / 13 compiler performance on Intel's flagship Xeon Platinum 8380 "Ice Lake" 2P server configuration.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tildearrow
    Every Phoronix version benchmark article:

1. Look it's faster
    2. Look it's faster
    3. Oh wait, in this one it is slower....
    4. Look it's faster again

Not being serious
    How about instead of mocking Michael's work you just stop randomly removing posts that don't fit your mind & world view?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

How about instead of mocking Michael's work you just stop randomly removing posts that don't fit your mind & world view?
      For me, the irony of his comment was more that there would be no Linux community like Phoronix without Michael. He doesn't have to do this but it's obviously a labor of love, not money. I could be wrong. Michael? You bought that 5000+ sq/ft mansion yet with the fat Ad profits? I'm a 31+ year Windows IT guy and yet I read Phoronix DAILY. I sure as shit don't make smug comments even in jest.

Comment

Wow, 3.4% in the geomean. I'm pretty sure that would've been an entire CPU generation in Intel's darker days.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Done.

I do tell you I am completely aware that this kind of benchmarks is time and energy consuming...

Comment

How does it compare to GCC though? Every time I have compared clang to gcc, clang gets smacked.

I just did some testing of this yesterday for some high performance software I'm working on and gcc was around 28% faster (this is on Intel Xeon hardware). The difference was quite noticeable.

Comment

Working...
            X