NetBSD Continues Long Overdue Push To Modernize Their WiFi Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD Continues Long Overdue Push To Modernize Their WiFi Drivers

Phoronix: NetBSD Continues Long Overdue Push To Modernize Their WiFi Drivers

Started back in 2018 was an effort by the NetBSD project to update their operating system WiFi drivers by re-syncing more code from FreeBSD and making various improvements. Three years later the work has yet to be merged but after stalling for some time is back to being worked on by interested developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers are not cross-compatible? That's multiplying already done work, is it not.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
      Why NetBSD and FreeBSD drivers are not cross-compatible? That's multiplying already done work, is it not.
      NetBSD has a very hard work for crossplataform drivers.

Comment

just use FreeBSD

Comment

It must be a nightmare to sync code from one system to another. I can barely resolve a merge conflict and cant even sync anything from two commits ago.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
            Because they are entirely separate operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Because they are entirely separate operating systems.
              I think a lot of it has to do with the choice of the *BSDs to use CVS instead of git. If they used git, they could all contribute to the same kernel. That's just my thoughts though.

Comment

Originally posted by jbranso View Post
                I think a lot of it has to do with the choice of the *BSDs to use CVS instead of git. If they used git, they could all contribute to the same kernel. That's just my thoughts though.
                Great way of showing you don't have a clue in the slightest.

Comment

Originally posted by jbranso View Post

FreeBSD uses Git. NetBSD and OpenBSD still use CVS but they're likely to follow and move to Git too, sooner or later.

Each of their kernels are different and have a long history so they are different from each other. I think also with different focus. NetBSD focuses on portability, OpenBSD focuses on security, and FreeBSD focuses on performance I think maybe.

But yeah it would best if all the BSD systems moved to Git, and maybe even that all the BSD systems merged into one.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

FreeBSD uses Git. NetBSD and OpenBSD still use CVS but they're likely to follow and move to Git too, sooner or later.

Each of their kernels are different and have a long history so they are different from each other. I think also with different focus. NetBSD focuses on portability, OpenBSD focuses on security, and FreeBSD focuses on performance I think maybe.

But yeah it would best if all the BSD systems moved to Git, and maybe even that all the BSD systems merged into one.
                    I didn't know FreeBSD uses git now!? Very cool!

I've heard that DragonflyBSD is another really good performance minded BSD. I actually love the fact that NetBSD provides rump kernels. I hope more OSs use their drivers. I know the Hurd hopes to one day. I actually installed OpenBSD on a T400, because from what I've heard it can almost be considered an FSF approved distro. I haven't played with it much. I like Guix System too much.

Comment

Working...
                    X