Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Sees More Performance Work For Linux 5.15

Phoronix: F2FS Sees More Performance Work For Linux 5.15

With Linux 5.15 there are optimizations for EXT4, big improvements for XFS, and significant work on Btrfs too. Rounding out the notable file-system work on Linux 5.15, the F2FS updates were submitted and subsequently landed for this next kernel version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Performance-wise I was quite happy with F2FS as main partition, however I did encounter the issue that the bootloader got lost every now and then on the FAT part of the same NVMe drive. I haven't seen this behavior with EXT4, it might be a GRUB-problem affecting F2FS when used as main partition.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      Performance-wise I was quite happy with F2FS as main partition, however I did encounter the issue that the bootloader got lost every now and then on the FAT part of the same NVMe drive. I haven't seen this behavior with EXT4, it might be a GRUB-problem affecting F2FS when used as main partition.
      Might be related to this? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...664/comments/9

All I know is my EFI partition needs to be FAT, my /boot needs to be ext4, and / can be f2fs, otherwise GRUB gets periodically screwed up as well... perhaps whenever it gets updated? I didn't have this issue with systemd-boot.

Comment

I got curious about trying other filesystems the other day so I setup xfs one one of my SSDs and F2FS on the other. I'm pretty happy with both so far but it's only been like a week. The thing I'm most concerned about is file corruption on F2FS cuz it doesn't have journaling, but so far I've seen none of that at least.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          I got curious about trying other filesystems the other day so I setup xfs one one of my SSDs and F2FS on the other. I'm pretty happy with both so far but it's only been like a week. The thing I'm most concerned about is file corruption on F2FS cuz it doesn't have journaling, but so far I've seen none of that at least.
          I've been running it through 2021 and hitting it pretty hard (writing and reading 100k+ image tiles, for instance), its been fine so far.

I have inode_checksum and sb_checksum enabled, per the recommendation in the Arch wiki, as well as lz4. I want to try compress_cache in 5.15 (as it sounds like it had some bugs in 5.14?), but I'm not sure that's a mount option that can be changed after creation.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            Not judging your workflow, but what's the use case for GRUB today?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
              F2FS doesn't have journaling (logging) as an option because the whole filesystem is build around a log.
              Specifically it a LFS architecture ... a Log-structured File System.

Comment

Great thread so far. Very informative. Have to start fresh soon (dreading it) but thinking about giving F2FS a try. 5.15 kernel seems like the one to give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  Great thread so far. Very informative. Have to start fresh soon (dreading it) but thinking about giving F2FS a try. 5.15 kernel seems like the one to give it a shot.
                  Yeah, tons of stuff got added in just the last few kernel versions.

Be sure to check mounting options when you do, as its not necessarily like btrfs where you can configure most things after creation/mounting. Some of the good stuff, like the extra checksums, overprovisioning, compression algorithm, compression filetype blacklist, and gc tweaks are not enabled by default, and not exposed through GUIs like GParted.

Uh I don't think I can link stuff as a new user, but click the link to kernel documentation on the filesystems page on the ARCH wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Not judging your workflow, but what's the use case for GRUB today?
                    It comes by default on Manjaro (or all other distros which I try from time to time) and I need it as I've a Windows 11 system on a seperate drive. I tried and failed miserably to change the bootloader to systemd-boot at my first attempt very recently.

Comment

Working...
                    X