Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Resolution Scrolling On Linux Progressing, Apple Magic Mouse Support In Linux 5.15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Resolution Scrolling On Linux Progressing, Apple Magic Mouse Support In Linux 5.15

Phoronix: High Resolution Scrolling On Linux Progressing, Apple Magic Mouse Support In Linux 5.15

Being worked on for several years now on the Linux desktop has been high resolution scrolling including work for it around X Input, the libinput library used both by X.Org and Wayland systems, and the kernel driver side for the HID/input devices to support it. The latest user-space work is high resolution scroll wheel support within the next libinput release. Separately, with Linux 5.15 is now additionally support for high resolution scrolling with the Apple Magic Mouse...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now I wonder how long it's going to take apps to add support for this. To this day, FireFox on Linux still doesn't properly handle touchpad scrolling unless you set "MOZ_USE_XINPUT2=1" and disable the simulated "smooth scrolling" in its settings.

Comment

They need to allow you to adjust scrolling sensitivity. I cannot use desktop Linux because my expensive mouse's scrollwheel requires an insane amount of scroll to move down the page.

Comment

Whoop de doo, Linux might finally get system-wide smooth scrolling in 5.15 while macOS had it since 10.6 and Windows since Windows 8.

Comment

I love those quality-of-life improvements. They really make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post
            They need to allow you to adjust scrolling sensitivity. I cannot use desktop Linux because my expensive mouse's scrollwheel requires an insane amount of scroll to move down the page.
            ...in Chromium browsers. I hate it too. Luckily, Firefox scrolls just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Whoop de doo, Linux might finally get system-wide smooth scrolling in 5.15 while macOS had it since 10.6 and Windows since Windows 8.
              Cry more

Comment

I had to upgrade to kernel 5.13 as some 5.10 revision completely broke the mousewheel for my Logitech mouse. I can't fathom why this is a constant source of problems in literally every component involved

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Cry more
                  Well it's true
                  Partial support existed in 2017-2019. Dolphin supported it, but the browser didn't
                  GTK also partially supported it

On Windows the support is not perfect either though. I had to bypass the Boot Camp driver to get smooth scrolling with the touchpad.

Comment

tildearrow

It may be true but it doesn't add anything to the discussion so I decide to troll back. You could say his sarcastic comment to so many things on Linux.

I just don't tolerate anyone not appreciating a free and amazing OS like GNU/Linux. That's all. Not trying to troll.

Comment

Working...
                    X