Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSSL 3.0 Officially Released

Phoronix: OpenSSL 3.0 Officially Released

After many development snapshots and three years worth of work, OpenSSL 3.0 is now available as a major update to this widely-used SSL library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But is it secure?

Great that they ditched their vanity OpenSSL license in favor of the more established Apache License.
    Now if only Python, PHP and PostgreSQL could do the same.

Comment

What's a clinet ?

Comment

Too bad they didn't pick something GPLv2 compatible like BSD+Patent. It would be great if a 3-clause BSD+Patent license gets approved by the OSI. I think it would be favored over Apache 2.0 since the vast majority of people only use it as a BSD-3+Patent license anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
          What's a clinet ?
          A typo for "client" I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

A typo for "client" I believe.
            Dang, you probably right.
            That and double citing of "support for kernel TLS", could use some proofreading

Comment

Originally posted by fanbelt View Post
              Too bad they didn't pick something GPLv2 compatible like BSD+Patent. It would be great if a 3-clause BSD+Patent license gets approved by the OSI. I think it would be favored over Apache 2.0 since the vast majority of people only use it as a BSD-3+Patent license anyways.
              There's also the LLVM exception for the Apache 2.0 license: https://spdx.org/licenses/LLVM-exception.html . Used by at least LLVM and CUPS.

That gives GPLv2 compatibility while keeping the Apache 2.0 that corporate lawyers seem to like.

Comment

Originally posted by fanbelt View Post
                I don't think a BSD+Patent license that's compatible with the GPLv2 is possible because the patent-related requirements, being not present in the GPLv2, would count as additional restrictions and thus inherently GPLv2-incompatible.

The LLVM exception is sort of a grey area since it's effectively saying "if courts deem that the patent rules are incompatible with the GPLv2, then you may ignore them when redistributing this code as part of a larger GPLv2 work"... so I have trouble seeing how it's significantly different from just releasing something under "Apache-2.0 OR GPL-2.0" terms.

Hell, the Rust ecosystem uses "Apache-2.0 OR MIT" because, as long as you care about getting your changes upstreamed, it has the same effect, patent-wise.
                Last edited by ssokolow; 07 September 2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

What's a clinet ?
                  A wine brand. I guess they need security too in order to prevent outsiders from stealing their wine-making process

Comment

Dang, you probably right.
                    That and double citing of "support for kernel TLS", could use some proofreading
                    That's not a half bad idea TBH. Maybe Michael could give someone a premium account in exchange or something.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    A wine brand. I guess they need security too in order to prevent outsiders from stealing their wine-making process
                    In my country there was a time where someone tainted a batch of wine with methanol, blinding and killing several people before anybody realized it. So yeah, they need security too

Comment

Working...
                    X