Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server Adds "AsyncFlipSecondaries" To Deal With Crappy Multi-Monitor Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server Adds "AsyncFlipSecondaries" To Deal With Crappy Multi-Monitor Experience

Phoronix: X.Org Server Adds "AsyncFlipSecondaries" To Deal With Crappy Multi-Monitor Experience

At the moment when running the X.Org Server in a multi-monitor configuration with displays of different refresh rates, it can lead to a poor experience with a variety of visual deficiencies when running an unredirected full-screen window with page-flipping for DRI3/Present. There is now a change that was merged into the X.Org Server with a new "AsyncFlipSecondaries" to improve that experience when running multiple displays of varying refresh rates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

💪💪💪💪💪

Comment

AMD? How is this AMD news?

Prepare for anti-X clan...

Comment

Wayland fanboys: Noo! You can't add new features. Xorg is dead!
        Xorg: Ha-ha. Refresh rates go brrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by remenic View Post
          💪💪💪💪💪
          Mad respect to this dude!! Saw a huge problem and went and fixed it. This is what we need more of. Way more doing, way less complaining.

Linux is beautiful. And has the best leader we could've ever asked for. Yes, I am perpetually high on Linux. That was the play. You guys thought I was high on cannabis the whole time, which I was and still am right now. Cheers, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
            Wayland users are more like: whoot, you only get this now and it introduces tearing (i.e. is rather trade-off than a clean solution)? Well, if you look for a clean solution for the problem - you know where to find it

Edit: still a nice addition, hope users wanting to use it won't have to wait too long for a release.
            Last edited by treba; 09 September 2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
              Xorg fanboys: See we are not dead
              Most Linux users: someone still works on Xorg?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                ... you only get this now and it introduces tearing (i.e. is rather trade-off than a clean solution)?
                I don't think it introduces tearing.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

I don't think it introduces tearing.
                  It's written in the article:

So the secondary displays may have potential tearing but that trade-off should be better than the status quo for at least some users.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    AMD? How is this AMD news?

Prepare for anti-X clan...
                    You never fail to fail lol

Comment

Working...
                    X