Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Privacy-Screen DRM API With Intel Support Ready Now That GNOME Is Prepared To Use It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy-Screen DRM API With Intel Support Ready Now That GNOME Is Prepared To Use It

Phoronix: Privacy-Screen DRM API With Intel Support Ready Now That GNOME Is Prepared To Use It

Over the past two years we have seen work around bringing up privacy screen support on Linux whereby an increasing number of laptops can reduce the amount of visible light when viewed at wide angles to try to block the screen contents from anyone potentially snooping at the screen. Ready to go now is the DRM/KMS user-space interface and the Intel graphics driver support now that there is a user-space "client" ready...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've always thought this was a funny problem. For the longest time the issue was displays having really crappy (wide) viewing angles. Now that most displays have good wide viewing angles, well, apparently that's a problem too.

We can't win for losing

Comment

It's called marketing spin - to keep selling the crappy cheaper tech.

Comment

Originally posted by user556 View Post
        It's called marketing spin - to keep selling the crappy cheaper tech.
        ...no, this is an actual additional hardware feature on a screen that also has good viewing angles.

Comment

At first I read it as Piracy screen, thinking it's some DRM shenanigan and prepared myself for a healthy round of GNOME bashing.

Should have been obvious, if it was DRM they'd call it some newspeak euphemism like Secure, or Trusted Screen.

Comment

Working...
          X