Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.15 Delivers Many Features With New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, New Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.15 Delivers Many Features With New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, New Hardware

Phoronix: Linux 5.15 Delivers Many Features With New NTFS Driver, In-Kernel SMB3 Server, New Hardware

Feature development is over on the Linux 5.15 kernel with Linux 5.15-rc1 being issued. It's now on to testing and bug fixing over the next two months before the kernel is christened as stable. Here is our original Linux 5.15 feature overview about all of the big changes in this next kernel version.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

5.15 is the new 5.4.

Comment

Michael, do you have any information regarding maintainance of the kernel in-tree ZSTD code?

There was an attempt to unify the codebase with upstream (zstd-1.5.0) few month ago, since the in-tree implementation was kind off out-dated.

It is not easy to find reliable information whether this is still WIP or "mission accomplished".

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
        Michael, do you have any information regarding maintainance of the kernel in-tree ZSTD code?

There was an attempt to unify the codebase with upstream (zstd-1.5.0) few month ago, since the in-tree implementation was kind off out-dated.

It is not easy to find reliable information whether this is still WIP or "mission accomplished".
        terrelln is the best person I know of to ask about that...hint...hint

Comment

SMB, NTFS. Sounds like the beginning of the great Windows 11 & Linux merge.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            5.15 is the new 5.4.
            Retweeting this. It was profound. Hopefully 5.15 will be an LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              SMB, NTFS. Sounds like the beginning of the great Windows 11 & Linux merge.
              Are you implying about what I already heard lately 100,000 times, that Windows is switching to the Linux kernel? Please tell me no. Because the thought that Windows is gonna switch from NT kernel to the Linux kernel is total b*.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Hopefully 5.15 will be an LTS.
                For the last few years, the LTS kernel is the last of the year. It looks like it is indeed 5.15.
                We'll see if it stays that way.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

For the last few years, the LTS kernel is the last of the year. It looks like it is indeed 5.15.
                  We'll see if it stays that way.

Thank you, I always forget what the criteria was for LTS, and I remember hearing it before and I forgot. Gonna write this down. Thanks

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Amazon's DAMON landed for a data access monitoring framework that can be used for proactive memory recalamation and other features.

Comment

Working...
                    X