Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Java 17 / OpenJDK 17 Hits GA With Maturing Vector API, Removal Planned For Applet API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java 17 / OpenJDK 17 Hits GA With Maturing Vector API, Removal Planned For Applet API

Phoronix: Java 17 / OpenJDK 17 Hits GA With Maturing Vector API, Removal Planned For Applet API

Java 17 has made it to general availability status today with a number of improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In the meanwhile, everyone still uses Java 8...

Comment

The Java Vector API aims to make it easy to allow run-time handling and optimal vector instruction generation
      Ah. I thought it was talking about the vector class, which I seem to remember being deprecated years ago

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        And no wayland support yet ...

Comment

We're moving onto Java 11 in the past year or so, and that's a financial business so it's probably not quite that bad.

The main driver is the combination of these businesses finally discovering microservices (well to be fair they knew about them, but had to create all the in-house tooling to support them properly), with new small spring boot 2 apps, running in kubernetes, with far more developer control, and java support stopping for 8.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

And no wayland support yet ...
            What do you mean no Wayland support?
            If you want to use Java for desktop applications, you would use JavaFX, which was removed from Java JDK and is its own package now, and the recent versions of JavaFX do support Wayland.

For Swing and AWT, yeah, these GUI frameworks are part of the JDK and they are kind of legacy / deprecated and don't have and I don't think they will get Wayland support. XWayland is the best they will have.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post

We're moving onto Java 11 in the past year or so, and that's a financial business so it's probably not quite that bad.

The main driver is the combination of these businesses finally discovering microservices (well to be fair they knew about them, but had to create all the in-house tooling to support them properly), with new small spring boot 2 apps, running in kubernetes, with far more developer control, and java support stopping for 8.
              I've switched from 8 to 11 two or three years ago, without much issues. As it it I'm looking forward for Java 17.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post
                For Swing and AWT, yeah, these GUI frameworks are part of the JDK and they are kind of legacy / deprecated and don't have and I don't think they will get Wayland support. XWayland is the best they will have.
                And yet, Swing and SWT are the most used by existing software I'm sure it is not hard to find examples of free and commercial projects. I'm not aware if any project use AWT right now.
                Last edited by blacknova; 14 September 2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

What do you mean no Wayland support?
                  If you want to use Java for desktop applications, you would use JavaFX, which was removed from Java JDK and is its own package now, and the recent versions of JavaFX do support Wayland.

It's not deprecated, people are working on it.

Comment

Don't know about everyone, but Autopsy still uses 8.

Comment

Working...
                    X