Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP OMEN Laptops To Be Better Supported With Linux 5.16

Phoronix: HP OMEN Laptops To Be Better Supported With Linux 5.16

HP's higher-end "OMEN" laptop series is set to see better support with the next kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The name still irks me... It's so darn Windows-focused that the standard has Windows on its name.
    I wish it was something like Hardware Monitoring Interface instead.....

Anyway, great to see these kind of things arriving to the kernel. It's not easy to see...

Comment

I would rather buy a Dell XPS or a laptop from system76.
      It seems Dell does a much better job at making sure their laptops work good on Linux than HP does.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        It seems Dell does a much better job at making sure their laptops work good on Linux than HP does.
        unfortunately that is not true for the Dell g5 15 SE laptop. it has amd cpu and radeon graphics with smart shift support. also its on the same price range of hp omen. I'm on latest kernel(5.14) and still there are issues like no sleep support, random kernel panics(from vga), extreme heat even when idle. more experiences like these can be see on reddit: r/DellG5SE.

Comment

"HP's higher-end "OMEN" laptop series is set to see better support with the next kernel cycle.

"While just missing out on the Linux 5.15 merge window, one of the early changes queued up so far this week in any of the "-next" branches is the x86 platform drivers picking up HP OMEN laptop support within the HP WMI driver.

"The HP-WMI driver is adding support for HP OMEN laptops thanks to the work by an independent developer. This support allows for most functionality offered by HP's Omen Command Center on Windows to now work under Linux."

WhatEVER happened to that business practice of not offering a product for sale until it was absolutely ready to be sold?
          Haven't trusted H-P since Fiorina gutted it, and changed it from one of the most elegant, high-quality engineering firms in the world to a 'me-too' assembly house of PCs.

An HP laptop has long had the reputation of being one of the hardest on which to install Linux. This is the 'same song; second verse"--or, more accurately perhaps, the100 000th verse--of that reputation.

No thanks. I'll stick with a manufacturer which has a commitment to producing consumer-friendly products; whose products have a history of not being hard to work with.
          Last edited by danmcgrew; 15 September 2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I use various DELL XPS laptops and their hardware is fully supported by linux.

The only real problem with DELL, is the issue with audio static

They have some kind of interference from the LCD that causes audio static noise while the LCD screen is scrolling something. Very annoying. While it has been a problem for about 10 years now, DELL refuses to fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
              I use various DELL XPS laptops and their hardware is fully supported by linux.

The only real problem with DELL, is the issue with audio static

They have some kind of interference from the LCD that causes audio static noise while the LCD screen is scrolling something. Very annoying. While it has been a problem for about 10 years now, DELL refuses to fix the problem.
              Improper shielding, poor quality components from Asia. I've a Dell G5 that can't do 2.4 GHz WIFI and Bluetooth at the same time. Dell doesn't do RF engineering well.

Comment

Quick shoutout to the “I'm not buying a Linux laptop because a Windows laptop on which I install Linux is cheaper and juist as well supported” people.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  Quick shoutout to the “I'm not buying a Linux laptop because a Windows laptop on which I install Linux is cheaper and juist as well supported” people.
                  The only problem is that it's getting harder, by the month, to find good, affordable laptops on which Linux can be installed because Microsoft is making it harder and harder.

I just returned an absolutely beautiful piece of very affordable hardware to the store because the 2-week-return policy was about to expire; and it was appearing as though, with all of Microsoft's stumbling blocks (UEFI; Secure Boot; no---or hidden---appropriate menu items; no Legacy Bios choice), if it was even possible.
                  I seem to remember some article, regarding one particular laptop, in which the author had deemed it impossible to install Linux on the (Windows) machine in question.

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
                    WhatEVER happened to that business practice of not offering a product for sale until it was absolutely ready to be sold?
                    To be fair to HP, they are pretty adamant that they don't support Linux whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                    X