Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Initial Firmware For Yellow Carp APUs

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Initial Firmware For Yellow Carp APUs

A small but important step forward is seeing AMD recently publishing their binary firmware files in advance of new GPU/APU launches for rounding out their Linux driver support stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see that AMD is already publishing the firmware ahead of the release.
    Intel does this which is very nice because then your distribution works when you pick up the hardware, but AMD has often been slow with this.

I hope to see AMD continue being early!

Comment

Ye,s I guess that might come out nicely. So people might have a good out-of-the-box experience without having to manually patch or pull in overlays/repositories from 3rd parties to their distributions.

And here's hoping for some broad assortment of good value for the money APUs. And... available. Ranging from small (Kabini style to big ones if needed and also some without SMT, at least I'd rather leave it off, can't substitute a real core and is still deemed insecure)
      At least here (Europe, Germany) the situation still is rather thin, past generation APUs are sold for roughly 1.5 x the original release price, if sold at all. There are few "Pro" APUs which are somewhat pricy and iirc. require 5xx chipsets (at least the Pro series advertises ECC support) and some 5xxx ones, but somewhat scarce, "expensive" (not really a bad ratio for a 6 or 8 core, though), or at least not available in smaller versions of 4C 4T.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Does Rembrandt have ACP 5.x? Does Rembrandt support AV1 hardware decode?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
          It should have hardware decode for AV1 since it's already supported in VCN3.0. I'm assuming that it will use VCN3.0.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do we have proof that Yellow Carp is Rembrandt? I know Michael said "expected" and that it's all over the internet...

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
            It's RDNA2 so yes.

Comment

it's all because of steam deck. valve is already sending the devkits, so they likely gave AMD a nudge to get their shit together.

it's neither surprising, nor means you should suddenly start expecting miracles.

Comment

I assume that the firmware files do not reveal any details about the APUs, do they?

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                At least here (Europe, Germany)
                Assuming that my Germany is the same like your Germany, Cezanne APUs are perfectly available as boxed retail APUs, from Day 1 until today. Are 54 offers not enough? https://geizhals.de/amd-ryzen-7-5700...loc=at&hloc=de
                The price is near the suggested retail price, which is quite normal for a new product (... so not "expensive").

The 4-core will come later for the retail market, yes, as all quad cores are urgently needed in the OEM market and there's still a bottleneck with 7 nm production resources. Anyway, for a new PC, I would always choose at least 6 cores.
                Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 15 September 2021, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
                  The 4-core will come later for the retail market, yes, as all quad cores are urgently needed in the OEM market and there's still a bottleneck with 7 nm production resources. Anyway, for a new PC, I would always choose at least 6 cores.
                  I don't think AMD has said the 5300G will be coming to the retail market.

The Ryzen 3 5300G is a 4-core, 8-thread processor featuring 6 CU Vega graphics... the problem is, you can't buy it. You see, the 5300G is an...

The Ryzen 3 5300G is a 4-core / 8-thread processor featuring 6 CU integrated Vega graphics... the problem is, you can’t buy it, or at least not without all the bits that make it work. You see, the 5300G is an OEM-only part, but unlike the 5600G and 5700G which spent their first 4 months of existence in OEM only status before being released into the retail channel, the 5300G is set to be an OEM exclusive indefinitely.
                  If you think about it, the 5300G has the exact same problem as the quad-core Ryzen 3 3100 and Ryzen 3 3300X. Not only is there a lot of demand for TSMC 7nm, but the yields on the 8-core dies are too good. They can just sell another 5600G instead of a 5300G.

It's nearly the end of the line for AM4, so the 5700G and the similarly performing 5600G are the best APUs you're going to get if you already have the motherboard.
                  Last edited by jaxa; 17 September 2021, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X