Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Linux 5.15-rc1 Causing A New Slowdown... Here's A Look

Phoronix: Running Linux 5.15-rc1 Causing A New Slowdown... Here's A Look

As usual when the Linux 5.15 merge window began wrapping up, I set out to dive into its performance to see what is in store for this next version of the kernel and whether there was any regressions or other performance changes worth noting. Linux 5.15 overall has been in good shape for the "-rc1" state except noticing that code compilation workloads were taking longer on multiple Linux 5.15-rc1-running systems than Linux 5.14 or prior. Seeing it across multiple systems and a very real-world regression, it was worth bisecting and looking closer so here are the details.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, did you report the regression to kernel devs? It is another hawkeye find of you.

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    due to a segementation fault

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Michael, did you report the regression to kernel devs? It is another hawkeye find of you.
      I let Linus know.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I let Linus know.
        The Linux Foundation should seriously consider funding you, I mean no one is doing what you do.

Comment

I think Michael single-handedly is responsible for a very noticeable speedup on Linux systems in general. Or rather computer systems. his work in finding bizarre slowdowns in the kernel, redis, etc... is really valuable. Thank you

Comment

good work Michael

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

The Linux Foundation should seriously consider funding you, I mean no one is doing what you do.
              I'm really wondering W.T.F. are those guys doing with the huge amounts of money they get from Google, Facebook, Microsoft and all other members ???
              I don't see them working to improve the desktop adoption, governments open source adoption or open standards adoption like Vulkan.

Or funding Michael as a full time employee with all the benefits for his amazing work at finding all these regressions and saving millions for all these funding members that use Linux.

I'm really disgusted to see this bullshit corrupt foundation that does nothing !

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

This.

edit: It's one thing to find the problem, but then he tracks it down to the actual commit, has the benchmarks to back everything up. It's not just low effort stuff. It's really, really high effort stuff on top of everything else he's doing. He needs to be recognized already.

edit 2: forgot to mention he's a dad

edit 3: this morning after I saw this, I looked up Michael on YouTube and saw him on camera for the first time. I don't think he'll mind me sharing this:

We chat with Michael Larabel the man behind Phoronix.com. We ask him if he feels his site's image suffered from the coverage of Steam for Linux, chat about t...

Keep in mind:

This was in 2012. It's an important conversation actually, about the history of Phoronix and the state of the Linux desktop (which at that moment was at a crucial inflection point)

My point is, Michael has been doing this for a couple decades and it's been long overdue. I've already donated $100 for Lifetime, but if I have to keep donating a few bucks also here and there I may also. He makes my life great because my computer flies.
                Last edited by perpetually high; 16 September 2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I'm really wondering W.T.F. are those guys doing with the huge amounts of money they get from Google, Facebook, Microsoft and all other members ???
                  I don't see them working to improve the desktop adoption, governments open source adoption or open standards adoption like Vulkan.

Or funding Michael as a full time employee with all the benefits for his amazing work at finding all these regressions and saving millions for all these funding members that use Linux.

I'm really disgusted to see this bullshit corrupt foundation that does nothing !
                  All that money is put into enterprise use cases.

Comment

Really impressed you went straight to the bisect

Just gotta raise a bug next time and it'll be a home run

Comment

Working...
                    X