No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Prepares The Linux Kernel For Future Laptops With EC-Driven Backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Prepares The Linux Kernel For Future Laptops With EC-Driven Backlights

Phoronix: NVIDIA Prepares The Linux Kernel For Future Laptops With EC-Driven Backlights

NVIDIA is contributing a new open-source driver to the upstream Linux kernel for dealing with upcoming laptops where the backlight controls are handled by the device's embedded controller (EC)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really wish more laptop manufacturers offered back-lit keyboards as an option (before the flames start--I was in hardware design for many years; I understand all the ramifications of doing this).
    I consider myself a typical computer user--laptop; black, with mostly-black keys, of course ('black' is nature's 'camouflage' color); used all hours of the day and night, under all types of lighting conditions--said lighting conditions including being in a room darkened as a courtesy to others...
    I find, after all these years, that a reasonably-priced back-lit keyboard can no longer be considered a luxury.

This seems like a good thing; back-light control with only 200 lines of code; would appreciate a comparison of what this method 'brings to the party', vs current methods.

Comment

I will get my new laptop next week (Dell G15 5511) and I will see if it has display backlight using EC. If I can't change the bright with Ubuntu out-of-the-box, so yes.

Comment

Working...
      X