Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 470.74 Linux Driver Released With Several Fixes

Phoronix: NVIDIA 470.74 Linux Driver Released With Several Fixes

NVIDIA has released their latest 470 series Linux driver point release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One advantage of NVidia not being part of the kernel tree is you get updates fast and quick that is not bound to the Linux kernel version

Fixed a bug that caused nvidia-drm.ko to crash when loading with DRM-KMS enabled (modeset=1) on Linux v5.14.
    This is good to hear that its being fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
      Not fixed or addressed (though let me check once again):
      Intersting, never triggered that one. Have you forced HW acceleration?

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Intersting, never triggered that one. Have you forced HW acceleration?
        Nope, it crashed regardless. The issue with a segfault has apparently been fixed. Nice! Now let's test GravityMark.

Still crashing:

Code:
        ./run_windowed_gles.sh

NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:07:00): 32, pid=22684, Channel ID 00000020 intr0 00040000
        NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:07:00): 32, pid=22684, Channel ID 00000020 intr0 00040000
        Not a big deal, I don't have any other GLES applications anyways.
        Last edited by birdie; 20 September 2021, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Nope, it crashed regardless.
          I also don't have this issue, I am using Brave (which is chromium based) along with hardware acceleration on a dedicated NVidia GPU with the blob and I have no problem

These are my brave://gpu flags (same as chrome://gpu flags)

Code:
          [B]Graphics Feature Status[/B][LIST][*]Canvas: Hardware accelerated[*]Compositing: Hardware accelerated[*]Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled[*]Out-of-process Rasterization: Hardware accelerated[*]OpenGL: Enabled[*]Rasterization: Hardware accelerated[*]Skia Renderer: Enabled[*]Video Decode: Hardware accelerated[*]Vulkan: Disabled[*]WebGL: Hardware accelerated[*]WebGL2: Hardware accelerated[/LIST]

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            One advantage of NVidia not being part of the kernel tree is you get updates fast and quick that is not bound to the Linux kernel version
            I don't think it's much of an advantage, as fixes can be quickly backported for point releases.
            But of course rolling back to older versions in case of issues is an option.

Comment

I hope they get the GBM/Wayland changes in this series, as it is supposed to be the last one that will support my graphics card.

Comment

Xwayland support still has a long way forward. I experience weird glitches (diagonal tearing and some kind of stuttering) in games. Which is sad because everything else works ok.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  I don't think it's much of an advantage, as fixes can be quickly backported for point releases.
                  But of course rolling back to older versions in case of issues is an option.
                  You still have to wait for your distribution to update the Kernel and also this backporting isn't always guaranteed. And if you are on an older stable LTS distro, well good luck then.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

You still have to wait for your distribution to update the Kernel and also this backporting isn't always guaranteed. And if you are on an older stable LTS distro, well good luck then.
                    With nvidia it's the other way around, you need a driver update if Xorg ABI changes or kernel gets updates.

Comment

Working...
                    X