CUPS 2.4 Coming Next Month, CUPS 2.5 + CUPS 3.0 Already In Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUPS 2.4 Coming Next Month, CUPS 2.5 + CUPS 3.0 Already In Planning

Phoronix: CUPS 2.4 Coming Next Month, CUPS 2.5 + CUPS 3.0 Already In Planning

An Open Printing micro-conference took place today during the Linux Plumbers Conference 2021 week. While it's hard to get excited about printers in 2021, it is exciting the renewed effort around CUPS with it now being back to effectively led by the community and CUPS founder Michael Sweet who left Apple. CUPS 2.4 is coming as the first feature release in quite a while and then CUPS 2.5 followed by CUPS 3.0 are already being talked about with features being discussed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is quite exciting. As we use lots of printers in production, this is welcome news.

Comment

CUPS 3.0 could potentially split the project into separate CUPS library, command-line tools, local server, and sharing server sub-projects.
      Oh come on, just make cups configureable so you can select what you want to build

Comment

CUPS is like so many things where if it works you forget that it's there, but if it doesn't work you get mad at it.

Docker/Appimage is a big deal for old software like CUPS. I hope that they will publish their Dockerfiles too. It's extremely useful for "documentation".

Comment

Does that mean that this is the end of the road for PAPPL? My understanding from past phoronix articles is that this was to replace CUPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
            CUPS is like so many things where if it works you forget that it's there, but if it doesn't work you get mad at it.
            Yup but that is also an issue. It usually just works so people don't really dig into it all that often. But then when some thing goes sideways they have no idea how to do even the simplest debugging like using lp for testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Med_ View Post
              Does that mean that this is the end of the road for PAPPL? My understanding from past phoronix articles is that this was to replace CUPS.
              No. And PAPPL isn't meant to replace CUPS. Rather, PAPPL (Printer Application Framework) is meant to provide a framework for replacing CUPS printer drivers, which CUPS can then use for printing.

There is the possibility that PAPPL might be adapted as the basis for the future CUPS 3.0 local and sharing servers, but at the moment it is too soon to say.

Comment

Originally posted by printman View Post

No. And PAPPL isn't meant to replace CUPS. Rather, PAPPL (Printer Application Framework) is meant to provide a framework for replacing CUPS printer drivers, which CUPS can then use for printing.

There is the possibility that PAPPL might be adapted as the basis for the future CUPS 3.0 local and sharing servers, but at the moment it is too soon to say.
                Username checks out as a voice of authority on the topic.

Comment

For my own use I am pretty happy with CUPS. The only thing I don't like is the messy webinterface. I am not talking about butchering it with the so called modern crap, but just default font size and aligning things in table's would help a lot. Other than that it works which after all is the most important thing.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                    For my own use I am pretty happy with CUPS. The only thing I don't like is the messy webinterface. I am not talking about butchering it with the so called modern crap, but just default font size and aligning things in table's would help a lot. Other than that it works which after all is the most important thing.
                    All of those things are managed via a style sheet, so if you are so inclined you can tweak the installed /usr/share/doc/cups/cups.css file and contribute the changes to the OpenPrinting CUPS project on GitHub…

Comment

Working...
                    X