AMDGPU Linux Driver To Overhaul Its Approach To Device Enumeration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Linux Driver To Overhaul Its Approach To Device Enumeration

Phoronix: AMDGPU Linux Driver To Overhaul Its Approach To Device Enumeration

AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver engineers are working to overhaul how the initial driver loading with device enumeration happens to ultimately make it more robust. In the process though PCI IDs become less important and in turn less of an avenue for exposing possible indicators of new graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Should give better day 1 support for new GPUs also. Assuming the firmware is out... ;-)

Comment

I hope this isn't a burden for the smaller *BSD camps to support for their AMDGPU support. Most people use Nvidia with FreeBSD, but for OpenBSD AMD currently, until Intel discrete graphics gets released and take a foothold, is the only real option for high performance graphics.

Comment

I really hope this will stop my third monitor always switching between Displayport-6 and Displayport-7 in xrandr after suspend which confuses plasma desktop to no end.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          I hope this isn't a burden for the smaller *BSD camps to support for their AMDGPU support. Most people use Nvidia with FreeBSD, but for OpenBSD AMD currently, until Intel discrete graphics gets released and take a foothold, is the only real option for high performance graphics.
          Why would it? On the contrary, I think once they have imported the changes, it will be easier for them to keep track of new hardware.

Comment

The firmware files still carry the chip codename. How is that going to be dealt with? New firmware files for each IP block&version ?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              The firmware files still carry the chip codename. How is that going to be dealt with? New firmware files for each IP block&version ?
              "Less information being potentially leaked" is only a side effect, not the goal of this overhaul.

From this new patch on, new GPU models from AMD probably will no longer need to update its Linux driver when such new models do not contain new architectures or new function blocks. Firmware is OS-agnostic, so overall Linux support of AMD GPU will be faster.

Comment

What does IP stand for in this context?

Comment

Originally posted by Sjonny View Post
                  What does IP stand for in this context?
                  A hardware block that implements part of the CPU/GPU functionality. Examples for GPU include GFX (the graphics/compute pipelines + shader core), SDMA, VCN, UMC (memory controller), DF (data fabric) etc...
                  Test signature

Comment

Working...
                  X