Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 21.2.2 Released "Late & Very Large"

Phoronix: Mesa 21.2.2 Released "Late & Very Large"

Mesa point releases generally come every two weeks but for the past month have fallen off the wagon. Mesa 21.2.1 came in mid-August and on Tuesday was finally succeeded by Mesa 21.2.2 as a "late and very large" update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kisak PPA is awesome if you're on Ubuntu (18.04, 20.04, 21.04). Very unintrusive PPA. Just latest Mesa stable. Can't ask for more.

Makes my 20.04 LTS super smooth. I think 20.04 is on 21.0.6 or something like that. Use PPA's for graphics drivers, y'all. Oibaf if you need bleeding edge.
    Last edited by perpetually high; 22 September 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Just finished compiling 21.2.2

Mesa 21.2.2 highlights include:

- Iris Gallium3D driver fixes.
      Whatever those fixes are, I'm not seeing it.Iris driver still remains noticeably slower than the classic DRI driver across both Plasma Wayland and Gnome, with obvious jittering.

Nouveau driver is also still broken on Chromium. v95 and v96 still throw a seizure and then die shortly after launch, but not without Nouveau dumping a whole bunch of scary stuff to dmesg.

Basically zero noticeable improvements from 21.2.0. Probably makes more sense to just skip directly to 22.x.x when it's ready.
      Last edited by Sonadow; 22 September 2021, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Just finished compiling 21.2.2

Whatever those fixes are, I'm not seeing it.Iris driver still remains noticeably slower than the classic DRI driver across both Plasma Wayland and Gnome, with obvious jittering.

Nouveau driver is also still broken on Chromium. v95 and v96 still throw a seizure and then die shortly after launch, but not without Nouveau dumping a whole bunch of scary stuff to dmesg.

Basically zero noticeable improvements from 21.2.0. Probably makes more sense to just skip directly to 22.x.x when it's ready.
        I am stuck on Mesa 19.0 because 19.1 onwards hang the card when doing VA-API encoding on AMD Vega :<

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I am stuck on Mesa 19.0 because 19.1 onwards hang the card when doing VA-API encoding on AMD Vega :<
          I said it in another topic, but VAAPI and VDPAU is not worth the effort sometimes.

An i7-6700 has enough juice to handle 720p60 and 1080p30 on x264 software encoding. That's what I'm using to record my PS5 gameplay through ffmpeg over a TTY.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

I said it in another topic, but VAAPI and VDPAU is not worth the effort sometimes.

An i7-6700 has enough juice to handle 720p60 and 1080p30 on x264 software encoding. That's what I'm using to record my PS5 gameplay through ffmpeg over a TTY.
            An i7-6700K doesn't have enough juice to handle 2160p60 on x264 though. It does 1080p60 fine though.

Comment

An i7-6700K doesn't have enough juice to handle 2160p60 on x264 though. It does 1080p60 fine though.
              Why would I want to do 2160p60? Just because Youtube supports it?

It's dog slow to download and stream. 720p60 is a sweet spot: 60fps playback while still being small enough to be reliably streamed over 4G networks. Heck, I sometimes even stream in widescreen 480p just to avoid buffering.

Comment

Thanks to Mike Blumenkrantz and Valve for all their work on Zink! 💜

Now lets hope to see OpenVL and Vulkan Compute support too, and more OpenGL extensions.

Comment

That is a kernel driver problem, a userspace code which mesa is should never be able to crash hardware. Heck, I'd call it a DoS vulnerebility. Report to... No, forget it, Vega will never work correctly

Comment

While if this really is a bug it of course should be fixed (in kernel mode driver?), AMD GPU encoding quality is abysmal. I really wonder if your usecase would work out even if it wasn't crashing.

Comment

Working...
                    X