GNOME 41 Released With Wayland Improvements, More Performance Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 41 Released With Wayland Improvements, More Performance Tuning

Phoronix: GNOME 41 Released With Wayland Improvements, More Performance Tuning

GNOME 41 is out as the latest half-year update to this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And how many extensions have been broken?

Comment

Focusing on performance and quality-of-life improvements is the right thing to do. Can't wait to have it on my Arch installation.

Comment

And it remains a clone of Android/MacOS and not a real desktop.

A mobile user interface like GNOME is not suitable for desktop users...

I'll stick with cinnamon, thank you very much.

Comment

Can’t wait to try this when Fedora 35 comes out! The battery life management is something I especially look forward to with my ThinkPad lasting only 5 hours when compared to 20 hours of my Macbook Air.
          Last edited by veeableful; 22 September 2021, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Not my most anticipated Gnome release but still a welcome one. Every step counts. Can't wait to get libadwaita prepared for 42.

If any Gnome dev reading this, thanks a lot for this. The wait to get it on stable Arch repos is gonna be hard.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post

Then how is it possible that legions of people are actually using this on desktop? Isn't Mr Torvalds himself also using GNOME?

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post

I've gladly used gnome for a long time so no idea what you're talking about lol

Comment

I love GNOME and look forward to this release!
                  I especially like GNOME with some shell extensions such as ArcMenu, Dash-to-panel, and Desktop Icons NG (DING).
                  There lots of great third-party apps for GNOME too such as Apostrophe (markdown editor), Gaphor (diagram editor), and Solanum (tomato clock).

GNOME Music is really, really terrible though. You cannot even skip in the song, and you cannot chose a folder where to find music, it is ridiculously bad. Rhythmbox is much better, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like its getting any love. 😢

Comment

Gnome suits my needs, but only because it works on Wayland very well. The problem I have is the settings section of the spectrum. Wish it was more available (not split, not less settings than you can do with gsettings the terminal command). Other than that, yeah it works great with extensions until those breaks too, then stock gnome feels like a boring dystopia.

Comment

Working...
                    X