Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaTek Hoping To Bring nanoMIPS Support Upstream Into GCC

Phoronix: MediaTek Hoping To Bring nanoMIPS Support Upstream Into GCC

The nanoMIPS architecture that was announced by MIPS in 2018 for embedded devices to lower power consumption and yield smaller code footprints was announced for the MIPS I7200 but since then there hasn't been much of nanoMIPS. However, MediaTek is now looking to contribute upstream the compiler support for this processor ISA into GCC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before "nanoMIPS is DOA; RISC-V is future...".

Comment

Nice to see MediaTek actually contributing anything. To me they're most known for violating the GPL.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I really hate to say it, but it's probably true. nanoMIPS is a really great embedded ISA, among the best available (far more likable than RV, imo). It's dense, it's expressive, but as far as I know there's no roadmap for cores using it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Nice to see MediaTek actually contributing anything. To me they're most known for violating the GPL.
          I hold them in "high" regard for never updating their Android drivers.
          MIPS having to partner with MediaTek means they're scraping the bottom of the barrel

Comment

MIPS really fucked up when they quoted David Patterson way too much for potentially using it on a class.

Now RISC-V is king, whereas MIPS brand owners are shifting to making RISC-V IP.

Comment

In after it was already in the article.

Comment

Working...
              X