Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing The New ASUS Platform Profile Support In Linux 5.15

Phoronix: Testing The New ASUS Platform Profile Support In Linux 5.15

With the in-development Linux 5.15 kernel there is now support for ACPI Platform Profiles on supported ASUS laptops. This ASUS laptop platform profile support joins the likes of HP, Dell, and Lenovo laptops already having this support exposed under Linux that allows users to control their power/performance preference. Here are some tests with the ASUS ROG Strix G15 AMD Advantage laptop with the platform profile options under Linux 5.15.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did you have any issues suspending the laptop? In particular does your power button resume the machine properly?

Comment

Is this support for Asus laptops official?
      If I were to buy a laptop today I would probably buy a Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition, it seems Dell has the most serious Linux commitment of of the the established computer manufacturers.

Comment

How quiet was quiet mode ?

Comment

It doesn't seem to work on all Dell laptops.
          At least on Dell Dell Inspiron 5770 with the latest Linux kernel (5.15-rc3) and latest KDE Plasma (5.23 beta), it doesn't work !
          I don't remember ever seeing something in the BIOS that could be enabled for this feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            It doesn't seem to work on all Dell laptops.
            At least on Dell Dell Inspiron 5770 with the latest Linux kernel (5.15-rc3) and latest KDE Plasma (5.23 beta), it doesn't work !
            I don't remember ever seeing something in the BIOS that could be enabled for this feature.
            This is a kernel level thing. And no such thing exists in any dell kernel code as far as I can see.

Comment

I use asus laptop for some time and have one right no, asus tuf with intel, the mods work well for some time sice 4.13 i think. quiet is quiet performance is a nightmare but the performance is much better in gaming for example for balance is useless most of times, daily basis I use quiet mode, only I need extra juice performance, like intense gaming or mining, benchmarks etc

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                Did you have any issues suspending the laptop? In particular does your power button resume the machine properly?
                Suspend support for the 2021 machines is still a bit of a work in progress. The bulk of the kernel code implementing "modern standby" (aka s2idle, or s0ix suspend) landed in 5.14 but fixes have been steadily trickling in since and there are a number of patches that haven't made their way into mainline or stable just yet.

I'm tracking upstream work on this issue here: https://gitlab.com/smbruce/linux-sta...s/s0ix-5.14.y/ -- with these extra patches in place I'm able to suspend on a Cezanne machine (2021 Zephyrus G15) without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by xerom62 View Post

This is a kernel level thing. And no such thing exists in any dell kernel code as far as I can see.
                  `platform_profile_choices` is not available via /sys/firmware/acpi at least on my fairly new Dell machine with kernel 5.14. I've been reading Dell offers some support for platform profile but is unclear which models are supported.

Comment

What was the difference in fan noise between the modes? It would have been nice to see some noise measurements alongside the power draw.

Comment

Working...
                    X