No announcement yet.

Steam Beta Improves Its Vulkan Pre-Caching System, PipeWire Capture Now Opt-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Beta Improves Its Vulkan Pre-Caching System, PipeWire Capture Now Opt-In

Phoronix: Steam Beta Improves Its Vulkan Pre-Caching System, PipeWire Capture Now Opt-In

With the initial Steam Deck release quickly approaching, Valve continues to be quite busy on a variety of improvements to enhance their Steam Linux builds...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news. That previous caching system was highly flawed and had huge memory leaks.

Comment

every day I get a 880mb update for dota2, I think it says "validating" not sure if this is related to cache or install integrity

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
        every day I get a 880mb update for dota2, I think it says "validating" not sure if this is related to cache or install integrity
        Try disable cache in Steam settings, restart client and enable it again. Had this problem with other games, this should fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
          To add to what V1tol said -- if you're using a custom Mesa builds, PPAs, etc you might be better off disabling cache and letting it build when you start/play a game.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

Try disable cache in Steam settings, restart client and enable it again. Had this problem with other games, this should fix it.
            I deleted everything in the shadercache folder, will give that a go though thanks

Comment

They should also fix the blank text in every new Steam Update window. At least here, you can only see what changed for a fraction of a second after clicking ok to restart Steam.

Also, there is a bug on the Steam client that messes the Steam UI (when you press Shift+Tab inside a game) on several games. One of the affected is Streets of Rage 4. Ethan Lee (the famous Linux game developer) already file a bug report months ago, but it wasn't fix yet.

Comment

What was wrong with the pipewire-based capture? And what's instead?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  They should also fix the blank text in every new Steam Update window. At least here, you can only see what changed for a fraction of a second after clicking ok to restart Steam.

Also, there is a bug on the Steam client that messes the Steam UI (when you press Shift+Tab inside a game) on several games. One of the affected is Streets of Rage 4. Ethan Lee (the famous Linux game developer) already file a bug report months ago, but it wasn't fix yet.
                  So, hours after posting this, I got both a Steam Beta and SoR4 updates. Something changed, because the Steam UI bug was fixed.

The power of nagging in the Phoronix Phorums.
                  /s

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                    What was wrong with the pipewire-based capture? And what's instead?
                    It asks for permission to screen share when opening Steam -- caught me off guard as suspicious. I'm sure there will be a workaround to avoid that, eventually.

Comment

Working...
                    X