Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 11 WSL2 Performance Is Quite Competitive Against Ubuntu 20.04 LTS / Ubuntu 21.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 WSL2 Performance Is Quite Competitive Against Ubuntu 20.04 LTS / Ubuntu 21.10

Phoronix: Windows 11 WSL2 Performance Is Quite Competitive Against Ubuntu 20.04 LTS / Ubuntu 21.10

Recently I carried out some updated Windows 11 benchmarks against Linux to look at how this forthcoming Microsoft operating system release is competing with Ubuntu. In this article is a fresh look at the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL2) performance on the near-final Windows 11 against Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Python and Nginx - nice lol .

BTW When WSL arrived I don't need linux any more on my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

I'm really hoping the arrival of the Steam Deck and its OS makes that the opposite for me. I'd be able to get rid of Windows if it wasn't for pesky DRM and anti-cheat. Been a good couple of weeks in that regard.

Comment

WSL2 is pretty much just a Linux kernel in a virtual machine. For such tasks it should be comparable to any other Linux running in a VM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Same to me, did it 2 month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Sorry to say...

You are using Linux in a custom virtual machine.

There may be security implications, plus less flexibility. But you were still in Microsoft Windows mindset, so that doesn't matter to you.

Nothing wrong. I dislike Microsoft and Apple stuff, but I respect people.

Why are you in this site? You don't like Linux 🙃

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Sorry to say...

You are using Linux in a custom virtual machine.

There may be security implications, plus less flexibility. But you were still in Microsoft Windows mindset, so that doesn't matter to you.

Nothing wrong. I dislike Microsoft and Apple stuff, but I respect people.

Why are you in this site? You don't like Linux 🙃
              > Why are you in this site? You don't like Linux
              I love linux
              But, at my opinion, Linux is not ready for Desktop. It takes much more time to do desktop stuff on linux than on Windows.

Why I love linux and how I switched to windows: small story

I'm sitting on linux since ubuntu 8.04, worked as linux kernel developer for 5 years (worked on custom drivers for corporate stuf and then switched in security domain: Linux Kernel Crypto driver HW acceleration for custom hardware chips in Samsung)
              And yes, I didn't enven had dual boot for all this time

Currently, I'm designing neural networks mostly for computer vision tasks, and using python, so linux is not required for professional usage.
              I tried Windows and found it much better compared to the years when I hated it, + I sometimes can still use linux stuff in WSL.

I continue using linux on everything else except Desktop.

Comment

RedEyed There is reasonable truth to this! I run a 100% linux infrastructure at our company and personally I use Linux as my primary desktop. That said, I also cheat, I almost always have a WIndows VM running with GPU pass through on the same machine and then I use Barriers soft-kvm-switch to seamlessly swap between them. When I have a few minutes to game or want to do something windows only, its as simple as swapping the monitor inputs and moving the mouse over.

Sadly I have less and less time for that these days. The Linux desktop has come a very long way. I tried WSL2 a year or so ago and it was really good, but I am now so used to the Linux desktop, outside of CAD and some gaming I spend most of my time in the Linux desktop (specifically KDE).

I do find it interesting though the merging of these two OSs.

Comment

Originally posted by RedEyed View Post

Congrats. You guys probably do exactly what Microsoft wants.
                  Needless to say that I can't understand why anybody likes Windows at all or this reaction.

Comment

Please tell me how is Nginx faster on WSL2. This makes no sense.
                    Has Microsoft secretly optimized the Linux kernel or sabotaged Ubuntu to make it slower?

Comment

Working...
                    X