Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Linux Kernel Patches Posted For The Fairphone 4

Phoronix: Initial Linux Kernel Patches Posted For The Fairphone 4

Announced this week was the Fairphone 4 as the latest iteration of this smartphone focused on being "sustainable and ethical" and now the initial patches have been sent out for providing mainline Linux kernel support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ever since my FairPhone 2 died without warning with loads of stuff on it, talk of large internal storage spaces has made me feel nervous rather than impressed…

Not that I'm gone off the brand, since I replaced it with a FairPhone 3, but now I have an SD card!

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
      Ever since my FairPhone 2 died without warning with loads of stuff on it, talk of large internal storage spaces has made me feel nervous rather than impressed…

Not that I'm gone off the brand, since I replaced it with a FairPhone 3, but now I have an SD card!
      My first Android only had an 8GB internal storage shared with the OS so from smartphone day one I (was forced to) put everything worth having on an SD. The best part about it is I don't ever get ripped off buying the high capacity model of a phone.

Comment

Oi! Fairphone 3 user here

Got one of the first released models at Q4/19, so it's now around two years old.
        It's in daily use, always with me and nothing broke in the meantime (yay), battery still at 97 % health.
        Modular, Dual-SIM and SD-Slot loaded with a 64 GiB SD-Card. Fulfilled and still fulfills all my requirements.

Very pleased.

Comment

The only thing wrong with the FairPhone is that it's not available in the US.

Comment

That's good news. I own a Fairphone 2 which run Ubuntu Touch for 2 years ,now it's running /e/ os because I need a working Signal. I love Fairphone and the spirit of the brand, but what the hell with those screen sizes? 6.3 really? I want a phone not a laptop... Why is it so hard to have a 4 screen now?

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
              Syncthing to the rescue

I'm happy with my FP3 (+ LOS), though it had some screen issues (blinking black sometimes). It looks like it was bad connection, so I followed instructions from their user forum and put a piece of paper inside to keep it tight. Now there is light spot visible on white screens, so I switched all apps to dark theme/mode and don't notice it anymore :d

I like FP4 (looks and specs), but price is too high imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
                That's good news. I own a Fairphone 2 which run Ubuntu Touch for 2 years ,now it's running /e/ os because I need a working Signal. I love Fairphone and the spirit of the brand, but what the hell with those screen sizes? 6.3 really? I want a phone not a laptop... Why is it so hard to have a 4 screen now?
                No other smartphone manufacturers offer phones with 4" screens now. Pretty much all are 6" or larger. The iPhone 13 mini is a small phone and it has a 5.4" screen.

Comment

This is a beast of a phone. Previous Linux/fairphone has been with a old/mid/lowrange SOC. Snapdragon 750 is superfast, and will be so for years. Difference to the 800 series is only noticed by extreme gamers.

Next question is does the Fairphone 4 suppert HDMI alt mode over usb-c? If it does you could have a powerful full linux desktop with you at all times. Would be epic for travel..

Comment

They'd be an option if they used OLED for the screen, but they don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X