Intel Tiger Lake Performance Looking Even Better With Ubuntu 21.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Tiger Lake Performance Looking Even Better With Ubuntu 21.10

Phoronix: Intel Tiger Lake Performance Looking Even Better With Ubuntu 21.10

It's been one year now since Intel launched Tiger Lake mobile processors and since then we've been running routine benchmarks of the Core i7 1165G7 on Linux. Tiger Lake at launch was performing well under Linux but its performance has continued evolving nicely since on Linux, especially as it pertains to the Xe Graphics with the open-source OpenGL/Vulkan drivers. With Ubuntu 21.10 due out later this month, there is another performance boost to enjoy.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu has always been a very nice distribution, perhaps the most polished of all distros.

Unfortunately, it suffers from the same problems that plaque other distros: kernel regressions, lack of a "killer app", lack of an actual competitor to MS Office, Linux Rot, which is similar to Windows Rot that used to plaque older versions of Windows:

Linux can run slow at times, but it is an issue that is easy to fix. Here, we show you how to fix your Linux machine running too slow.

About a few months ago I was using Ubuntu (doing something in the command line) when it started lagging really bad. I would hit S (or any other key) and like 20 seconds later it would show up in my

Linux being open-source has allowed there to be much fewer vulnerabilities, bugs and threats to look out for. However, what if we could even improve it more? We’ll be looking at some of these steps today that will surely let you have a smoother and faster Ubuntu system.

As for Tiger Lake, I had a Dell laptop with a Tiger Lake and Iris graphics and it was a beast, much better than my Ice Lake based laptop. I can't wait to see what Alder Lake offers.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      Linux Rot, which is similar to Windows Rot that used to plaque older versions of Windows
      Cool, could you please enlighten us just exactly how Microsoft got rid of the Windows rot & managed to infect Linux with the same disease at the same time?

Really looking forward to your in-depth explanation here!

Comment

Windows rot was a term used to describe the degradation in Windows performance over time. This used to be a big problem back in the Win 98 days and even with XP. The 2 main culprits were disk fragmentation and the registry getting bloated with numerous entries, including orphaned entries.

The fragmentation slow downs were eliminated with the advent of SSD's and NVME's and the registry issue was fixed I'm not sure how but since Win 7 Windows has been much better and Win 10 seems to be immune to it.

As for Linux, it's not that MS "managed to infect Linux with the same disease at the same time" but if you follow the links i posted you will see that it is a very real issue and one that I have observed in every distro I have ever used long term.

https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/trou...g-slow-servers

Your high-powered server is suddenly running dog slow, and you need to remember the troubleshooting steps again. Bookmark this page for a re

https://haydenjames.io/linux-server-...g-application/

There’s no tool combination I’ve found more valuable for troubleshooting performance issues than vmstat and top in Linux command line.

Additionally if you Google "Linux memory leak" or "RedHat memory leak" you get page after page of results of people trying to fix memory leaks in Linux.

Honestly, I think the reason so many admins recommend and promote Linux for server use is so that they can have a job maintaining and fixing this kludge of an OS.

Comment

Michael, could you test Fedora 35 and Ubuntu 21.10 on this system to see the performance difference between the two?

Comment

... I have observed in every distro I have ever used long term.
            Really? I find it hard to believe that you use Linux at all? Every post from you on this forum, without exception, is about how much Linux sucks and how great Windows is in comparison (in every aspect). Are you still using Linux and If so, why? It's a great mystery to me. Are you perhaps forced to use Linux in your work? Even so, it's strange that you hang out on a website dedicated to Linux if you're not interested in it. It's like if I would torture myself and use Windows even if I don't enjoy it. Now why would I do that unless I enjoy pain, like being a masochist.
            Last edited by tomas; 04 October 2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              Cool, could you please enlighten us just exactly how Microsoft got rid of the Windows rot
              Windows 10 re-installs itself in-place with full user data migration every half a year with the Feature Updates.

Comment

Those are some pretty huge improvements. Assuming this is all downstream, I look forward to it.

Comment

Ubuntu has always been a very nice distribution, perhaps the most polished of all distros.

Unfortunately, it suffers from the same problems that plaque other distros: kernel regressions, lack of a "killer app", lack of an actual competitor to MS Office, Linux Rot, which is similar to Windows Rot that used to plaque older versions of Windows:

Linux can run slow at times, but it is an issue that is easy to fix. Here, we show you how to fix your Linux machine running too slow.

About a few months ago I was using Ubuntu (doing something in the command line) when it started lagging really bad. I would hit S (or any other key) and like 20 seconds later it would show up in my

Linux being open-source has allowed there to be much fewer vulnerabilities, bugs and threats to look out for. However, what if we could even improve it more? We’ll be looking at some of these steps today that will surely let you have a smoother and faster Ubuntu system.

As for Tiger Lake, I had a Dell laptop with a Tiger Lake and Iris graphics and it was a beast, much better than my Ice Lake based laptop. I can't wait to see what Alder Lake offers.
                  we have mainline kernel, already compiled, Im using 5.14 with 21.10, no big difference, ms office we can always use office 365, even in office when I need to use windows I use office in web or gsuite to auto save in cloud, some years ago was a problem no doubt this days not such a problem, I have a windows 10 home in vbox and never use it like in old days because the lack of apps, even gaming for a casual like me steam is enough and I can say this ubuntu 21.10 even with nvidia on wayland, optimus laptop is working without problems and now I agree with some people wayland now works well and even firefox snap is working very well with webrender out box, I ditch chrome since I install this two weeks ago this distro is a good one the only things I change, some tweeks in gnome, some extensions and upgrade to the kernel 5.14

Comment

Ubuntu has done many awesome things and hopefully will continue doing good in the future. Personally I loved shipit, it allowed me to get into Linux when I did not have internet. PPAs also rocked when it was released. IMO for a distro to be nice the good needs to outweigh the bad. Ubuntu is the only disto that I have used that intentionally integrated spyware. The Amazon spyware technically violated GPL but since Ubuntu owns Unity it's basically useless to take it to court. Ubuntu has had it's fair share of bad choices around upstart, pulseaudio, mer, snap. It was sad to see Ubuntu remove Chromium from apt repos and using one of the reasons because snap is more secure (which I do not agree with). Finally Ubuntu is the only distro that I have used that slipped a kernel release into an alpha version that corrupted _all_ systems that installed the update. I know it was alpha release but 0% testing before a release was shocking to me. I want to praise Ubuntu for their Server solutions because it has been relatively good... just NetworkManager and netplan in that gave me a few grey hairs.

IMO Ubuntu is a cool distro that has welcomed many to Linux and I am happy for that. There's just been many shenanigans along the way. Android as also increased the Linux numbers dramatically but to what end? It's a very subjective obviously... since all of us are different and have different priorities. Raspberry Pi OS included Microsoft repos after apt update, CentOS is not CentOS anymore, CoreOS is not CoreOS anymore and Redhat now has SEO-optimised clickbait paywall documentation that you cannot access even if you register for a free Redhat developer account. Fedora's Program Manager wanting to raise the minimum requirements to CPUs with AVX2 (Credit to Fedora though for talking about it publicly and taking people's feedback).

I'm sure I'm just getting old and being over cynical. We should give our friends at Arch/Debian/Gentoo/Slackware/LFS/NixOS and other independents some (financial) love.

Comment

Working...
                    X