Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon RX 6600 Linux Performance

Phoronix: AMD Radeon RX 6600 Linux Performance

Today AMD is officially launching the Radeon RX 6600 graphics card as a trimmed down model from the Radeon RX 6600 XT that launched back in August. This new (non-XT) model has a suggested price of $329 USD and here is a look at how well this RDNA2 graphics card is performing under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The price performance on this is pretty underwhelming when compared to the VEGA56 which is over 4 years old and was only $70 more at release and it is . The performance of this card needed to be a lot closer to the RX 5700XT to make it an attractive purchase at this price.

At this level of performance picking up a used Vega 56 makes a lot more sense or for $70 more the RX6600XT makes a lot more sense as it gives 30% more performance for only 20% extra cost.

Comment

As long as it has pci-e 4.0 8x instead of pci-e 4.0 16x, it's a no-go for me, regardless of the price. I have an i7 8700k and 32gb of ram. It's still a beast of a system and I intend to use it for at least a few more years. Problem is, I'm limited to pci-e 3.0, which means with an 8x card I'm going to potentially lose up to 25% performance in some games (this is already proven with the 6600 xt). I'm currently happy with my RX 580, but I'm afraid AMD will continue this trend of releasing mid range cards with pci-e 8x instead of 16x. That means, if I want to upgrade my GPU, I'll have to choose the lowest AMD card with pci-e 16x if it will have a price I'm willing to pay for (with today's prices it's highly unlikely). If not, I'll probably switch to an Intel discrete GPU.
      Last edited by user1; 13 October 2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

My own thoughts:

Cons:

* Yeah, it's a great card for 1080p but performance at 1440p and 4K drops off a cliff, a 128 bit bus doesn't really help.
        * The MSRP is insane considering this is basically a replacement for the RX 470
        * There's no RTRT (performance) to speak of
        * FSR works great for 1440p to 4K at Ultra Quality and is not worth it for lower resolutions however this card is not a 1440p card by a long shot
        * It will not be sold in millions because the card it means to replace in the Steam HW Survey, GTX 1060, retailed for $250 or less while RX 6600 will retail for at least $400.

Pros: Energy efficiency is great but to be honest could be better. GTX 1660 Ti based on a 12nm node and launched almost 3 years ago is not far off.

Based off: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/m...-ti-ventus-xs/

Comment

There is no point to discuss MSRP in the current market. If RX 6600 would cost an actual MSRP im my country, I would by it instantly, since 6600 XT is currently priced at ~800EUR where I live. So yeah. Historically speaking MSRP is bad, but I wish I could buy it on this bad MSRP today.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            My own thoughts:

Cons:

* Yeah, it's a great card for 1080p but performance at 1440p and 4K drops off a cliff, a 128 bit bus doesn't really help.
            * The MSRP is insane considering this is basically a replacement for the RX 470
            * There's no RTRT (performance) to speak of
            * FSR works great for 1440p to 4K at Ultra Quality and is not worth it for lower resolutions however this card is not a 1440p card by a long shot
            * It will not be sold in millions because the card it means to replace in the Steam HW Survey, GTX 1060, retailed for $250 or less while RX 6600 will retail for at least $400.

Pros: Energy efficiency is great but to be honest could be better. GTX 1660 Ti based on a 12nm node and launched almost 3 years ago is not far off.

Based off: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/m...-ti-ventus-xs/
            That's how I feel. If either 6600 card was $75-$100 cheaper I'd jump since I'm content upscaling 1080p to 4K. Unfortunately it feels like I can't find an equivalent GPU from any brand for less than $500 in the current economy so it's not like it matters anyway.

I really felt the need for an upgrade last night. I started running the PTS 2110109-TJ-UBUNTUZEN05 and 4K gaming benchmarks were stressful enough on my 4GB 580 to freeze the system and call for hard reboots . I'm gonna have to tweak that test for my system.

Comment

MSRP 329, real world price 600. In Greece only the 6600XT is available and it costs around 700 at the lowest on online stores. EUROS, not dollars.... In Greece the basic monthly salary is less than 600 euros, for reference.

Seriously, there is no point in buying anything until Intel arrives and destroys both gpu makers simply on price and availability. Plus nice open source drivers. Who would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's how I feel. If either 6600 card was $75-$100 cheaper I'd jump since I'm content upscaling 1080p to 4K. Unfortunately it feels like I can't find an equivalent GPU from any brand for less than $500 in the current economy so it's not like it matters anyway.

I really felt the need for an upgrade last night. I started running the PTS 2110109-TJ-UBUNTUZEN05 and 4K gaming benchmarks were stressful enough on my 4GB 580 to freeze the system and call for hard reboots . I'm gonna have to tweak that test for my system.
                Could you go more in detail about how you're doing the content upscaling 1080p -> 4K. Interested about that. I have an RX 480 also (1303/2050). Would be able to do some comparisons for you. And start tweaking that kernel, boiii

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  until Intel arrives and destroys both gpu makers simply on price and availability.
                  FYI, Intel will manufacture their GPU chips at the exact same TSMC just as the two current GPU makers are. The availability will thus hardly improve. I too would love the situation to improve, but dividing the same pie into more pieces won't be the solution.

BTW, Intel's present dGPU driver experience is even worse than the ATi stereotype, I wouldn't hold my breath here either.

Comment

I find it so dumb that some people sticks to the MSRP as a main point of critique for this card. Are you living under a rock? Didn't you noticed that for a year and a half now, ALL CARDS sell for double or triple their MSRP?

Newsflash: this thing will have the greatest price/performance of 2021. Is the world we live now, you like it or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X