OpenBSD 7.0 Released With RISC-V 64-bit Port, Better Apple Silicon Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD 7.0 Released With RISC-V 64-bit Port, Better Apple Silicon Support

Phoronix: OpenBSD 7.0 Released With RISC-V 64-bit Port, Better Apple Silicon Support

Not only is Ubuntu 21.10 releasing today but over on the BSD side of the table is the debut this morning of OpenBSD 7.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Day by day, 6 month release cycle by 6 month release cycle OpenBSD becomes better and better faster and faster and more secure. I dream of the day I can use it as my sole OS. Benchmarks against 6.9 if you have the time Michael would be lovingly appreciated.

Comment

RIP to the MIPS/SGI platform. Interesting that they still have the M88K/Luna platform, since there are almost no Omron Luna 88K systems still around. And I don't mean there aren't any in production use (which there aren't), there's almost none that exist *at all*. I've heard someone say there's under 10 left in existence, but that seems unlikely.

Comment

It's too bad that OpenBSD can't really be trusted, just like any other open source OS can never be truly trusted:

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content...rs-may-be-true

https://www.theregister.com/2010/12/...ackdoor_claim/

Yes I know the article is 11 years old and the claim is that it happened 10 years prior to that, so 21 years ago total, but does anyone really believe that governments around the world haven't continued their attempts to insert back doors into open source OSes, especially as Linux and BSD popularity in the server markets have increased over the years.

Yes I know the code gets audited, but until that OpenBSD developer said something no one noticed anything when they audited OpenBSD's code.

Now how easy it is to exploit is up for debate, but I would be surprised if all open source OSes don't have a back way in.
        Last edited by sophisticles; 14 October 2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          It's too bad that OpenBSD can't really be trusted, just like any other open source Os can never be truly trusted:
          So no operating system period can be trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

So no operating system period can be trusted.
            You can trust TempleOS. It was developed with the CIA in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by squash View Post
              You can trust TempleOS. It was developed with the CIA in mind.
              That's a lot of batshit crazy.

Comment

It's too bad that OpenBSD can't really be trusted, just like any other open source Os can never be truly trusted:

Yes I know the article is 11 years old and the claim is that it happened 10 years prior to that, so 21 years ago total, but does anyone really believe that governments around the world haven't continued their attempts to insert back doors into open source OSes, especially as Linux and BSD popularity in the server markets have increased over the years.

Yes i know the code gets audited, but until that OpenBSD developer said something no one noticed anything when they audited OpenBSD's code.

Now how easy it is to exploit is up for debate, but I would be surprised if all open source OSes don't have a back way in.
                And if my memory serves me correctly, nothing was actually found. If there is an OS that can be trusted, it would be OpenBSD. They continuously inspect their code base as well as make sure any new feature is hardened.

Comment

And which OS do you use, pray tell?

Comment

Originally posted by dekernel View Post

And if my memory serves me correctly, nothing was actually found. If there is an OS that can be trusted, it would be OpenBSD. They continuously inspect their code base as well as make sure any new feature is hardened.
                    You didn't bother reading the articles, they clearly state that a review of the code showed that the allegations were most likely true because they found "suspicious" code.

Comment

Working...
                    X