Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SiFive Has A New RISC-V Core To Improve Performance By 50%, Outperform Cortex-A78

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiFive Has A New RISC-V Core To Improve Performance By 50%, Outperform Cortex-A78

Phoronix: SiFive Has A New RISC-V Core To Improve Performance By 50%, Outperform Cortex-A78

SiFive just shared word that at today's Linley Conference they teased their Performance P550 successor that will "set a new standard for the highest efficiency RISC-V processor available."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No... way.

I would be seriously surprised if this thing is able to outperform an A78 as it would mean it would run closer to the M1!

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      No... way.

I would be seriously surprised if this thing is able to outperform an A78 as it would mean it would run closer to the M1!
      A78 isn't arm's highest end core. They have the new A710 and they have the larger X1 and X2 cores. So this isn't as fast as those let alone M1 cores but it is still excellent news.

P.S Alibaba open sourced several RISC-V cores 2 days ago btw: https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/10...c906-and-c910/
      Last edited by hajj_3; 21 October 2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
        P.S Alibaba open sourced several RISC-V cores 2 days ago btw: https://www.cnx-software.com/2021/10...c906-and-c910/
        Those guys claim to have shipped more than 2.5 billion XuanTie RISCV cores...truly astonishing..

Now in relation to this news,
        If SiFive does managed to get a core more performant than cortexA78, that obviously doesn't end the ARM monopoly of-course, but it means serious business..
        But,
        In my Opinion, we should get this news with *Big* Grains of Salt..because SiFive promised the same before, and its other cores were not even on par with a cortex a53..

Comment

Interesting bit with be at what power draw they are getting that performance.

For most users A78 is more than fast enough and if they are better performance per watt along with better performance than A78 the processor could quickly take up a large mantle of niche use cases even if mainstream phone makers shun it.

A good bet if the nvidia purchase of Arm is approved too.

Comment

Another good news, Intel will not buy and close SiFive.

Comment

Bruh this is big... the A78, if Exynos 2100 benchmarks are to be believed, can perform on comparable levels to upper end laptop CPUs.

Comment

China is happy with free linux, free risc-v to conquer west world and close their mouth .

Comment

Wasn't P550 also the name of Imgtec's highest performing MIPS core before they sold MIPs off? If so then that's kinda of neat coincidence considering I've heard RISC-V and MIPS are similar.
                  Last edited by Myownfriend; 21 October 2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    No... way.

You gotta remember M1 is impressive but not *that* impressive... its just a node ahead of everyone else because Apple pays more than anyone else for fab access. I'd say thier architecture is on par with monolithic x86 CPUs at this point but thats already late to the game architecturally.

Comment

Working...
                    X