Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bareflank 3.0 Hypervisor Released With Microkernel Design, AMD Virtualization Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bareflank 3.0 Hypervisor Released With Microkernel Design, AMD Virtualization Support

Phoronix: Bareflank 3.0 Hypervisor Released With Microkernel Design, AMD Virtualization Support

Bareflank, as what started a few years ago as a Linux hypervisor written in modern C++ and focused on security and other new features as a "hypervisor SDK" of sorts, is now up to version 3.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So it's a hypervisor SDK, I really don't understand who this project is for. I'm struggling to understand the true purpose of the project, sure I get what hypervisor SDK means. It's a tool to make development of new hypervisors easier.

But why? Most if not all hypervisors until now are built without such an SDK, and sure, there's still a definite need for a better hypervisor (both vmware and virtualbox are very much so lacking for instance)...

Yet I just don't understand, who would actually use this rather than developing their hypervisor from scratch like everyone has done until now, more or less anyways.
    Last edited by rabcor; 24 October 2021, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      So it's a hypervisor SDK, I really don't understand who this project is for. I'm struggling to understand the true purpose of the project, sure I get what hypervisor SDK means. It's a tool to make development of new hypervisors easier.

But why? Most if not all hypervisors until now are built without such an SDK, and there's still a definite need for a better hypervisor (both vmware and virtualbox are very much so lacking for instance).

I just don't understand, who would actually use this rather than developing their hypervisor from scratch like everyone has done until now, more or less anyways.
      Why do so many JS frameworks exist? Some things are just a solution without a problem, made by someone who obviously made it for the sake of it, and not out of any actual need.
      For instance: I made several game engines (none of them are available now). After the 5th or 6th I realized, I had zero interest in making the actual game.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

Why do so many JS frameworks exist? Some things are just a solution without a problem, made by someone who obviously made it for the sake of it, and not out of any actual need.
        For instance: I made several game engines (none of them are available now). After the 5th or 6th I realized, I had zero interest in making the actual game.
        That makes a surprising amount of sense actually

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

But why? Most if not all hypervisors until now are built without such an SDK, and sure, there's still a definite need for a better hypervisor (both vmware and virtualbox are very much so lacking for instance)...

Yet I just don't understand, who would actually use this rather than developing their hypervisor from scratch like everyone has done until now, more or less anyways.
          Agreed it is confusing and as Ironmask pointed out, some do because they can. On the other hand, I have used ESXi for the last 8 years and I find that it delivers extremely well for my needs. Yes - a couple of architectures are lacking but it is a well rounded product.

Comment

Why not in Rust?

Comment

Working...
            X