Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynatron A39 - A Good Heatsink For Threadripper/EPYC 4U Systems

Phoronix: Dynatron A39 - A Good Heatsink For Threadripper/EPYC 4U Systems

Quietly released earlier this year was the Dynatron A39 heatsink that is capable of up to 280 Watts heat dissipation for satisfying even the very latest, high-end AMD EPYC 7003 "Milan" processors. This Dynatron A39 TR4/sTRX4/SP3 heatsink has been working out very well for those needing to cool a Threadripper/EPYC system in a 3U or larger enclosure.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if there is any losses running a smaller server cooler in a larger chassis. Looks to me that those small ones need a very high airflow trough the chassis, to keep things under optimal conditions.

Also, that 4U chassis can take quite a bigger cooler than that 80mm one.

Comment

That is a wide fan. Is it like two fans in one? o-o

Comment

It would be interesting to see some actual numbers for the noise level. How expensive is such equipment? I imagine that the upper end is crazy expensive, but we don't exactly need that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
          It would be interesting to see some actual numbers for the noise level. How expensive is such equipment? I imagine that the upper end is crazy expensive, but we don't exactly need that.
          Not really practical when I always have background noise / other systems going and no use in building a sound room or shutting down everything else in the server room when it doesn't add much value itself to the review or more pages.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            That is a wide fan. Is it like two fans in one? o-o
            Good for air-flow. Not so good for silent operation, not at 6k rpm at least.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Good for air-flow. Not so good for silent operation, not at 6k rpm at least.
              Indeed. A 6k rpm 80mm fan is not going to be silent at full load.

I'd be curious how the Noctua NH-U9 performs with a 92mm Delta fan strapped to it. Its heatsink has 6 heat pipes (vs 4 on the Dynatron) and a copper base, so should be capable of even better cooling with more airflow.

Comment

Last page last paragraph

"...the smaller 60nm fan on the Dynatron A38..."

Must be the smallest fans every created! The smallest electric motor ever created! 60 nanometer fan! And to dish out that much cubic feet per minute out of 60 nanometers! Real time warping stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                  Last page last paragraph

"...the smaller 60nm fan on the Dynatron A38..."

Must be the smallest fans every created! The smallest electric motor ever created! 60 nanometer fan! And to dish out that much cubic feet per minute out of 60 nanometers! Real time warping stuff!
                  LOL, it would have been a serious drone engine.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Also, that 4U chassis can take quite a bigger cooler than that 80mm one.
                    Unfortunately not that much than 90mm, for example on Noctua side only the NH-U9 TR4-SP3 fits in a 4U case (90mm), neither the NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (140mm) nor the NH-U12S TR4-SP3 (120mm) fit, you would need a 5U case for them. the 12S and U14S are too much high for ~1cm (a bit less for the U12S) maybe someone can try to saw the tips of the heatpipes… but maybe the fan would not fit anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X