Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi OS Updated For Debian 11 Bullseye, Desktop Transitions To GTK3+Mutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Updated For Debian 11 Bullseye, Desktop Transitions To GTK3+Mutter

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Updated For Debian 11 Bullseye, Desktop Transitions To GTK3+Mutter

Raspberry Pi OS as the official operating system for the Raspberry Pi single board computers has been updated against Debian 11 "Bullseye"...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They shoul've switched to KDE Plasma, which is working great on Raspberry Pi, at least in Manjaro.

Comment

There is no raspberry emoji in the Unicode emoji standard. 😭

Comment

Mutter seems to be a bad choice. While it won't adversely affect 8gb models, the 2gb model will need to do some heavy lifting. Openbox was not wrong for it. Heck xfce or kwin based desktop would have been fine too

Comment

Great that they're aiming for Wayland support, but a bit unfortunate that the 64-bit version is not becoming standard. I've been using the 64-bit version without issues for a while now, and it makes sense since Raspberry Pi 4 has a popular 8GB model available.

Comment

Standalone Mutter is a great choice for that. Its the only stable and well working x11 and Wayland compositor, wlroots based compositors will only work for Wayland and Kwin is a joke as always.

As always people confuse Mutter with the most popular desktop using Mutter.

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post
              Mutter seems to be a bad choice. While it won't adversely affect 8gb models, the 2gb model will need to do some heavy lifting. Openbox was not wrong for it. Heck xfce or kwin based desktop would have been fine too
              I doubt the ~80mb gnome-shell uses (Gnome 41, Fedora, tested on Pinebook Pro) currently would effect any of those board versions, but we do not talk about Gnome Shell, we talk about standalone mutter. I suspect a 10-20mb ram usage depending on what they put on top of it and that is neglect-able for any system.

Comment

What about switching to arm64 instead and deliver video acceleration as well?

Comment

Do they support upgrading over this transition, yet? Or is it a 'take off and nuke it from orbit'. Last time I asked them they said there was no supported nor recommended upgrade path between versions like this.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                    Do they support upgrading over this transition, yet? Or is it a 'take off and nuke it from orbit'. Last time I asked them they said there was no supported nor recommended upgrade path between versions like this.
                    Their blog post still recommends this method but they also link to a forum post with an upgrade explanation

Comment

Working...
                    X