Valve Shares New Steam Deck Details, Proton Update Available For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Shares New Steam Deck Details, Proton Update Available For Testing

Phoronix: Valve Shares New Steam Deck Details, Proton Update Available For Testing

Valve today hosted the much anticipated Steam Deck Development Livestream where they and their partners at AMD talked more about the forthcoming Steam Deck's hardware and software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Let me get this shit straight -- Arch-based OS with Silverblue-styled immutable root.

It's like they read my previous posts and designed an OS based around my random rants and ravings. Kick ass.

If Michael reports on Valve and OpenZFS in the near future

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Let me get this shit straight -- Arch-based OS with Silverblue-styled immutable root.

It's like they read my previous posts and designed an OS based around my random rants and ravings. Kick ass.

I guess you should sue them for a couple million $?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I guess you should sue them for a couple million $?
        Can I get your guy's number? Your stash is clearly better than my stash.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

When they say Silverblue-styled they mean ostree based os. Silverblue is rpm based ostree style os. Endless OS is another ostree based. Collabora's SingularityOS that was the original prototype for the first steam os that valve decide not to use was also ostree based so this is a full circle. So not your rants and ravings had nothing todo with it they had already had a OS designed like your rants and ravings decided not to use it and taken 2 released being steam os 1 and steam os 2 to wake up hang on the first prototype was the right kind of way.

Ostree fully support file systems btrfs, f2fs, xfs and ext4. Remember being ostree based you are not needing file system level snapshot so there is even very little advantage to using btrfs over f2fs/xfs/ext4. OpenZFS extra features for a ostree based OS mostly comes tits on bull as in 99% useless.

Comment

Flatpaks' being supported seems like a big deal - seems like the ideal way for other game stores to be available...

Comment

Good work. Arch definitely has the best distro fundamentals so I can see how they saw the fit. I like that the people presenting the topics are people who at very least are intimately familiar, if not working on them themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                Flatpaks' being supported seems like a big deal - seems like the ideal way for other game stores to be available...
                I agree on the big deal part. This will hopefully help drive adoption and compatibility. But what other game stores than steam are natively available in Flatpak? None of the major ones I know of for sure. Lutris is there of course, but that's another thing.

Comment

And they recommend to use Manjaro, hell yeah
                  Sounds like an incoming overthrow of the Ubuntu/Debian domination. The future is Arch/Manjaro

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                    And they recommend to use Manjaro, hell yeah
                    Sounds like an incoming overthrow of the Ubuntu/Debian domination. The future is Arch/Manjaro

The reality is Manjaro even that its arch based in design not by core repository. So big thing here is you are not looking at a franken distribution here because Manjaro complete core repository is forked off and made sure it compatible at all times with everything Manjaro adds so risk of installing application or running update and the system dieing is massively reduced..

The reality here is not everything Ubuntu/Arch/... based is sane. There are so called arch based distributions that don't fork of the main arch repository and just add on their own desktop bits that end up being I explode in your face distributions for example this would be like garuda linux. Before those with other based get to smart you then Pop OS is with Ubuntu that is the same problem. Every major branch of Linux distributions have some franken distributions that people go around recommend then users install and get burnt badly.

Big thing we need more people recommending distributions that are not franken messes and those making franken messes to either change what they are doing or stop making them.

Next is arch it self that says in it wiki that its the end user responsibility when updating that arch does not break. If a distribution is putting this up they lack quality control. This is something else the ones behind Manjaro deserve a credit for as they put in the work to have quality control.

Lot of people go with the distribution they are using hearing it used and going hell year cool. Lot of ways we need to start using more critical thinking. Manjaro is truly cool because because they truly make a decent end product. There are a lot of others out some backed by large companies that don't make a solid product.

Ubuntu/Debian I don't agree with. All debian repositories by main debian project have proper quality control on it. Ubuntu out of the 4 repositories hosted only 1 has proper quality control on it being the main one. Lot of ways Ubuntu domination is not justified due to poor quality control.

We do need to start getting more picky with distributions and more clear to those making distributions if they don't have the required levels of quality control we will not use them.

Comment

Working...
                    X